How to Remove Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's literally 3° F outside, and I don't feel like freezing my assets off while trying to figure out what needs to be unscrewed to release the (nearly) dead battery on my 2003 KJ! There is no battery release bar across the top, or I wouldn't have to ask. Can anyone help me out?

By the way, this is my first visit to this FANTASTIC site. It's nice to be among other people who appreciate the KJ.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the cabin side of the battery (As opposed to the headlight side), at the bottom of the battery, right on the tray, is a 10mm hex screw that will release the piece pf plastic that is the only thing holding the bettery in place.

2003KJ

Reaction score
You will need a good extension to be able to get that bolt out in any quick amount of time. Other than that, just loosen the two nuts on the terminals and that's all holding it together/on. Pretty simple.

3 degrees....ouch. Good luck with that...lol

Oh and (welcome)

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. Replacing the battery took about 10 minutes start to finish. Now it'll probably take me 12 hours to thaw out. Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up one of those doohickies to save my radio station presents. ](*,) Oh well, maybe next time.

2003KJ

Reaction score
do you have the OEM radio? mine saves my presets and my trip meter count, even when i disconnect the battery.

thimscool

Reaction score
Hey Res, is that you?

Are you the Res Ipsa that lives in Wyoming and recently posted about Lazarus?

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Hey Res, is that you?

thimscool said:
Are you the Res Ipsa that lives in Wyoming and recently posted about Lazarus?

No, I'm the resipsa that lives in the Chicago suburbs, and I'm new to this forum. My name is Tim. Nice to meet you all.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Welcome to the club Tim. What thing are you talking about that saves all of your settings when the battery is unhooked?

The thing is a device that has a 9 volt battery i think, and you plug it into your power outlet, and it saves your settings.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Another Tim with a 2003 KJ....cool!!!! (yes marlon i know you already said that)

Welcome!

How do you like that HD radio? I've been thinking about upgrading, but I listen to my iPod in the Jeep more than I do the radio.

As far as the memory saver thing, are yall (those with the stock systems) sure that it doesn't save it? My KJ saves the trip meter count, as well as all my radio station settings. Only thing I have to reprogram is the clock. I thought it was strange, but I like it. It's nice not having to reprogram everything!

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
How do you like that HD radio? I've been thinking about upgrading, but I listen to my iPod in the Jeep more than I do the radio.

I love the HD radio. The only problem with it is range, which is about 30 miles from the transmitter. I live about 30 miles outside downtown Chicago, and the HD signal starts to go in and out a few blocks from my house (although it's steady while sitting in the driveway). I drive into the city every day, so the weak signal is only an annoyance for a few minutes after I leave home in the morning, and a few minutes just before I get home at night. I'm hoping the stations will find a way to boost their signal strength once HD radios become more common. As far as sound quality, the difference is night/day, especially on the AM band. It's also nice to have 2x more station choices, as all major stations broadcast a second (commercial-free) station on the digital band.

Oh, and I have an iPod adapter for my radio (both are JVC). When my iPod is connected to the adapter (in the glove box), I can control the iPod though the radio (which even has a remote), plus the iPod is always charging. The radio and adapter can be had online for < $200.