How to remove Auto trans knob on a 2003 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surreyman

Reaction score
I have a 03 liberty sport 4x4 with auto trans that has a loose up and down play in the auto trans shifter and sometimes will not get out of park. Reading other forums indicate that there might be a plastic part in the shifter that has broke. How do I remove the auto trans shifter knob so I can see if the plastic part has broken? the knob has an OD button. Appreciate the help.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 03 liberty sport 4x4 with auto trans that has a loose up and down play in the auto trans shifter and sometimes will not get out of park. Reading other forums indicate that there might be a plastic part in the shifter that has broke. How do I remove the auto trans shifter knob so I can see if the plastic part has broken? the knob has an OD button. Appreciate the help.

Before you try to remove it - There is a small set screw on the back of the shifter that when tightened will stop the movement. Adjust it to where it functions best.

I didnt find this out in time on mine and damaged the small wire going to the OD off switch. The knob does not remove easily, I cut mine as my goal was to replace the OD switch. I ended up replacing the shifter assembly with one from another KJ.

Good Luck!

surreyman

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I found the set screw and indeed it was loose. I pushed the shifter down and tightened up the set screw with Allen wrench and that did the trick. What an easy fix when you know what to do. Saved me a lot of time and $$$.