HOW TO: How to install Mopar Foglights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're using the Instructions For Illiterates they give, be careful where you put the relay. I got faked out when I did mine.

I love the IKEA instructions!!! :angry94:

I was wondering about that - I'm guessing its not the slot they show, rather the slot next to it. I looked in my KJ and there is already a relay in that spot, but next to it on the right there is a blank spot and that is where I thought it should go. Am I correct?

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a couple relays from the salvage yard...

Fog lights turn on with parking lights

When I turn the headlights on, the passenger side fog light and headlight fail to illuminate. Turn the fog lights off and leave the switch in the headlight on position, and the passenger side headlight illuminates.

Is this a relay issue?

The headlights operate normally with the fog lights off... So I don't think that its the switch in the column, but maybe I'm wrong? This one is weird...

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have now tried multiple relays - and all do the same thing. The only thing I can think of is the switch at this point, but that is super odd. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

The u-pull-it yard has a 30 day warranty on switches and whatnot. They, however, did not have another liberty with fog lights...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The only things I could think of are that either the wiring under the hood where you tap into the harness is somehow different, or you may need to have the thing programmed. (My experience with the programming was ambiguous as I had it done before the relay was present, meaning I don't know if it was necessary.)

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only things I could think of are that either the wiring under the hood where you tap into the harness is somehow different, or you may need to have the thing programmed. (My experience with the programming was ambiguous as I had it done before the relay was present, meaning I don't know if it was necessary.)

Yeah - I read about your experience. I don't think that is the issue, since it works with the parking lights on. Its just super weird that the headlights work normally, but the passenger side fog and headlight goes out when the fog light switch is on. And - the lights worked normally prior to installing the turn-signal stock with the fog light option.

However, I may end up having to take it in for them to diagnose it and I could mention it at that time.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - so new development...

The passenger side headlight is dim. It still goes off when I turn the headlights on while the fog lights are on. When I turned on the brights, the fog lights went out, but the passenger side bright headlight came on - but dim.

I changed the stalk back to the non-foglight one, and the passenger side remains dim.

I am guessing that I got a bad wiring harness - a short in it somewhere. I will take that out after the weekend (out of town), and put the original back in. Assuming that fixes it, then I have to trace down the problem in the wiring harness.

This *****. I should have checked it at night because I couldn't tell it was dim during the day. Another odd thing is that when you pull the bright switch and hold, the fog lights come on really dim - even with the original non-foglight stalk. Now that is super weird.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think your suspicions about a short somewhere sound likely.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed that it was the wiring harness... well, more to the point, the connector. I wiggled the connections and the one that was giving me fits and starts was the headlight/fog-light harness connection to the engine bay harness. I cleaned the contacts, then bent the pins slightly inward so that it was guaranteed to make a good connection. I then smeared some dielectric grease on one side of the plug and snapped it together. All is well in the universe. My wife and I took the time tonight to aim the fogs as well... it ***** that you cant aim side to side as the passenger fog light skews more towards the center.

Thanks again... especially profdlp for the link to his trials and tribulations.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Beats having to yank everything out and start over. Glad you got it! :favorites13:

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hate to revive an old thread but since mopar discontinued the fog light kit for an 05 can i use a kit for an 02-04 for everything minus the housings obviously.