HOW TO: Firewall FAQ - How to run wires/etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing some after-market lights on the grill guard of my Liberty.
Where do you get a wire through the fire wall?
Don't want to drill.
The wire loom is so tight that if I try to push anything through it, the grommet pushs through the firewall.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
AJ

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
There's a little hole in the firewall already. Actually, there's two of them...

It's under the brake master cylinder. VERY TIGHT spot. If you take out the panel that surrounds the hood release, and some of the carpet, look over to your left, you can see it in the driver's side footwell. You have to pull out a plug to get the hole open. I think Corwynn has a page for this plug, but I don't have it bookmarked. That's a pretty good description though. Be prepared to scratch your skin a bit inside the engine compartment though.

But you don't have to drill. \:D/

The same type of plug is on the opposite side of the firewall... about the same position.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waldn, thanx for posting the link to my write-up. AJ, when you get to the section in the page about using a drill don't be afraid - you are only drilling thru the plastic plug you will be removing anyway. Drilling it out just makes it possible to remove it without scratching your knuckles trying to get at it from the engine compartment side. And don't forget the RTV!

AJ

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.
With the pictures and the information provided, I think that I can thread the wire with no problem.
Again, thanks for the GREAT info.
AJ
PS: How are the Hella's?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AJ said:
PS: How are the Hella's?
Well, right now they are off the Lib; I had taken them off to make sure they wouldn't interfere when I installed my front receiver hitch and I just haven't taken the time to put them back on. When they are on they're great! I was able to light up road signs the better part of a mile away. I am just getting used to how the high beams look without the Hellas on, so when I get them back on it'll be a shock again for the first few days. Well worth the $60-70 you'll spend on them.

AJ

Reaction score
Had to come back and thank you guys for the info concerning the firewall penetration.
With the pictures and explaination, I was able install the wire from my switch through the firewall with no problem at all!
Slight modification:
The plug can be removed by pinching the 2 prongs from the engine side of the firewall and removing it from under the dash.
I was able to drill with a bit the same size as the 14 guage wire.
Again, great info and pics. I know where I'll come for more info concerning the Liberty.
AJ

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give me a couple of days to get the link onto a new page before you put it in the 'How To' section. I am getting settled in after moving and need to set up a new web site with the info.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, the new URL for the firewall penetration write-up is http://home.comcast.net/~corwyyn/firewall-penetration.html

AJ said:
Slight modification:
The plug can be removed by pinching the 2 prongs from the engine side of the firewall and removing it from under the dash.
AJ
Correct, that is how I removed the plug, but after seeing several people writing about using a drill to get it out I figured that would be easier than scraping yer knuckles trying to get to the tabs on the engine side.

matt2wheels

Reaction score
doing a buncha wiring on mine today, just so you know, mine is a 2002 pre-lowered and while the pass-through is there, there is no plug. There was some kind of super tape over the hole and then it was painted over. I would have never seen it if not for this page--thanks guys.

matt

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just routed a wire through here the other day on my 05. You can remove the plug by using one of those really-long flathead screwdrivers (think 2-3 feet). Line up the head with the plug and give the handle a quick whack, it pops right out.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just wanted to let you guys know, i think you're making it quite a bit harder than it needs to be, all you have to do is get the blade of a screwdriver under it from the inside and just pry it out...you don't even need to be in the engine compartment until you're running your wire...

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SavageSS27 said:
i just wanted to let you guys know, i think you're making it quite a bit harder than it needs to be, all you have to do is get the blade of a screwdriver under it from the inside and just pry it out...you don't even need to be in the engine compartment until you're running your wire...

Hmm, you might be right. When I was looking at it from the inside I think I was looking at the wrong place (trying to remove the bolt instead of the plug... oops!)

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a wire/cable from inside cab to engine compartment

](*,) I've looked alot under the hood and thought I found a place to go thru, but it ended up being "white" metal. Not going to drill that. I have a cable that has a connector(not removable) on both ends. The connector is 1/2 x 1/4". Has anyone have a nifty way for me to get it from the cab to the engine compartment ??

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's one on each side of the engine compartment. Depending on where you are running the wires from in the cab it might be easier to go thru the one on the passenger side, but you'd need more wire to get over to the battery area.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
=D> \:D/ I used the one on the drivers side and the install is complete. PERFECT side hole. Used a HAM antenna whip that I fed thru from the interior. Total job abt 1/2 hr. GREAT "HOW TO".

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken link.

I have been on a lot of forums and have seen great how-to's been destroyed because of broken links and lost pictures. The last forum i was on once something was good enough to go in the how to it was moved onto the forums server so the pictures and writeups can't get broken or lost. Just a suggestion that would make it a ton better. Half the how-to's here have lost pictures or broken links.