HOW TO: Check Your A/C Temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a meat thermometer (electric or not) and place it in the vent so it is not touching the sides. Turn the AC as cold as possible, and set it the blower on low. It should read 40 degrees within several minutes (or close to 40 degrees). If it is, then it's working properly.

If you turn the blower up, you'll notice that the temperature will go up. For example, I set the blower on low, it read 40 degrees. Then on high, it read 50 degrees.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Take a meat thermometer (electric or not) and place it in the vent so it is not touching the sides. Turn the AC as cold as possible, and set it the blower on low. It should read 40 degrees within several minutes (or close to 40 degrees). If it is, then it's working properly.

If you turn the blower up, you'll notice that the temperature will go up. For example, I set the blower on low, it read 40 degrees. Then on high, it read 50 degrees.

True, but I thought the A/C was something like 25-30 degrees cooler than the outside temp?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepster, my understanding is that it should hit 40 degrees on low. I had a mechanic tell me that years ago, and I read that recently as well.

If it was 110 degrees outside, that's only 80 to 85 by your figure. That would be blowing hot air.. #-o

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Jeepster, my understanding is that it should hit 40 degrees on low. I had a mechanic tell me that years ago, and I read that recently as well.

If it was 110 degrees outside, that's only 80 to 85 by your figure. That would be blowing hot air.. #-o

Thats true. Ive never been in 110 degree weather but that does make sense.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to Phoenix sometime. We've had several 115F days over the past two weeks.

Latest posts

Members online