How much water can we drive through?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much water can a KJ go through safely?

I know DC says 20" and if I add my lift and tires, I can move that to maybe 2 foot. But I've seen photos of people in water up on the headlights.
I've read the "wading" thread.
And I've also read guys say they had to have their ****** rebuilt cuz of water.
And I've read the thread about leaking, etc.

So what I really want to know is what can I go through without damaging anything? That little bit of info may come in handy sometime...

Thanks
Rescu2000

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't beleive that I have ever been through anything any deeper than the tops of the tires, so I can't say if it will go deeper than that, but that worked out fine though. \:D/

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
I think that the problem with the ****** is (from what I have heard)that there is a little hole in the top of the ****** that will let water seep in and if it gets to much in it than it could ruin the ****** but I am not 100% on that its just what I have heard but other than that as long as it doesnt get into your air filter and start sucking water into the engine u should be fine I have been up to my head lights in my yj more than once and havent had a problem

Wildbill

Reaction score
jpjeeper2000 said:
I think that the problem with the ****** is (from what I have heard)that there is a little hole in the top of the ****** that will let water seep in and if it gets to much in it than it could ruin the ****** but I am not 100% on that its just what I have heard

You are right about the "hole", it's a vent. Both of your diffs have them too, but they have a tube that extends up near the top of fenderwells. The best solution for the ****** is to do the same type of vent tube for it.

Wildbill

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
It is factory rated for 20" of standing water at 10 mph. - Car and Driver TV.

EDIT: Ok I saw that you already knew that.

Anybody still have all the car and driver movies on the Liberty? I do I should upload them for all of you to watch.

Bennett

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
Anybody still have all the car and driver movies on the Liberty? I do I should upload them for all of you to watch.

Bennett

Yes Please! Just for a day or two so that we can download them! =D>

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving in water that is the same height as the tire or maybe even higher, doesn't water seem through the weatherstripping or trunk cargo area thru the door jams?

rob

chefdab

Reaction score
I've been in water just over the headlights with no seepage around the doors. The only problem I had was that the water was kinda muddy and clogged my radiator to the point where I nearly overheated.
You must be registered for see images

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no leaks on many crossings until the very last water swim (right where David is in his pic except I was coming the other way). Even went through VERY deep water earlier before with no problem. It came through the passenger side rear door. Guess I`ll have to get the dealer to look at it. (Argh)

Mike