how long have you driven on "E"????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its been a few days and my gas gauge is on "E". Now my daily commute is 10-miles (2 way) and i am getting a little worried. How long have you guys driven on E.

DavidG

Reaction score
Don't do it...

I have read that the fuel pump in most vehicles is in the fuel tank and relies on the fuel for cooling. If you drive with the tank nearly empty, the pump can overheat. I know someone who did that and had to replace the fuel pump for $$$.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wife is in the KJ, she can't take more then a few miles. Of course I always point out that there is still 3.5 gal. left when that light goes off! Doesn't matter, we still have to pull over. notcool.gif

2003KJ

Reaction score
Re: Don't do it...

DavidG said:
I have read that the fuel pump in most vehicles is in the fuel tank and relies on the fuel for cooling. If you drive with the tank nearly empty, the pump can overheat. I know someone who did that and had to replace the fuel pump for $$$.

Indeed it does. Now running it to "E" every now and then probably will not hurt it, infact it might actually clear some of the crap out of your tank. However, running to "E" all the time will more than likely cause the pump to overheat, as the majority of vehicles have their pumps located inside the tank.

grogiefrog said:
If the wife is in the KJ, she can't take more then a few miles. Of course I always point out that there is still 3.5 gal. left when that light goes off! Doesn't matter, we still have to pull over.

I beg to differ on that one. Last time I ran mine till the light came on was the day I was leaving for the beach, a month ago. Stopped at costco where it was cheap on my way out of town. It's a 7 mile drive from my driveway to Costco, which requires getting on the highway. When I pulled onto the highway my light came on, I drove down the highway at a steady 75-80mph, exited the highway in a couple miles, and pulled into costco. When filling up, my Jeep took 18.3 gallons, and that was when it stopped on the first click, no topping off! So, my light came on seriously too late, and i ran 75-80mph on the highway with less than a half a tank (unknowingly).....talk about ******* a vehicle. And here's the best part, the Jeep didn't miss a beat! not one sputter, jolt, or any signs of being starved for fuel.

Before that, I recall looking at my gas guage pretty much laying on the stopper right below "E" and wondering why my light wasn't on. I still can't figure it out. And i'm pretty sure the pumps were calibrated correctly too.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting Tim. No really, I fill up when the light comes on and it takes just a pinch over 16 gal., making 3.5 left. Must be an '04 thing?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogie,

my 02 is about the same, as far as gas being left in the tank with the light on. But I have seen some cars in the past where the gas light was practically useless :-k

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
It was below "E" tonight and the DTE on the trip computer said 0 miles! LOL and it was still going strong!!

Yay \:D/

Bennett

Watty

Reaction score
It would appear that on your KJ's the E must stand for "Enough" and the F for "f*ckall". I however always get nervious when the little man start sticking his finger in his ear and will find the nearest pump ASAP. It can realy be very bad for one's ego to stand next to the road with a high tech vehicle having no fuel.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, Bennett. I don't know if I could handle that or not.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving back to PA from Illinois and my gas light went on about 15 to 20 miles from Youngstown, OH. My overhead console said I had no miles left to empty when I got to the toolbooth where I80 splits off. I drove another 3 miles to the nearest exit and pulled off and got gas there. I think my tank fit between 16 and 17 gallons at that fill

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I wish automakers would make the fuel re-fill light come on yellow, and when it gets to half the remaining amount, the fuel re-fill light turn red or start blinking, something! GPS systems, and all that high tech stuff, but they won't do something simple like that. ****** me off.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that the EVIC figures the "miles left" by averaging your last three tanks mpg. Really!

2003KJ

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Interesting Tim. No really, I fill up when the light comes on and it takes just a pinch over 16 gal., making 3.5 left. Must be an '04 thing?

See thats the thing, the time before that when I ran it till the light came on it only took like 16.5-17 gallons. Haven't done it since the last time where i took 18.3, but if I do i'll be sure to post how much it took.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think with all of today's technology, that someone could tell me how much gas I really have in the tank, lol.

kopkrab.gif

2003KJ

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
You think with all of today's technology, that someone could tell me how much gas I really have in the tank, lol.

kopkrab.gif

LOL I agree. Even though i'm almost completely against digital dashboards, i'd love to see a digital gas guage standard on most vehicles. And i'd love to see a group of people sit down and actually engineer one to be extremely accurate.

kjk

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
LOL I agree. Even though i'm almost completely against digital dashboards, i'd love to see a digital gas guage standard on most vehicles. And i'd love to see a group of people sit down and actually engineer one to be extremely accurate.

They probably don't want to deal with the people calling to complain that they ran out of gas and the gauge said that they had 0.02568 gallons left.

dnm45227

Reaction score
That and people would complain that they need one that will not only accureatley measure the liquid, but would need it to calculate the volume of fumes as well.