how does traction control (ESP) work ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that when the computer senses wheel spin it cuts power to the engine.
but does it cut fuel to the engine or air ?
maybe it's just me, but it seems that if I use the traction control (ESP ) a lot the jeep is harder on gas .
any truth to this or is it my imagination? this is with an 06 liberty sport.

fire away, good or bad I want to hear your opinion.

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is entirely accurate but it's from wikibooks:

"Among other things, ESP applies selective breaking to prevent wheel spin. This traction portion of the ESP has an effect similar to that of an LSD. So it doesn't interfere with off road driving, parts of the ESP system are disabled in 4-Hi and 4-Lo. The system relies heavily on the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine if a wheel is slipping. ESP may interfere with LSDs and lockers because it performs many of the same functions that they do. It should be noted that when ESP was introduced in 2006 the factory LSD option was dropped, whether this was because ESP defeats the purpose of a LSD or because it's incompatible with a LSD is not yet known."

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get comparatively poor mileage in mine. Probably due to fuel quality. I changed the PCV, plugs that were seriously worn, air filter, fuel filter all at the same time. The first tank full I pressed the ESP button to compare. After all the new part I lost about 1mpg. Since then I have run without it depressed and have gained about 2mpg with the new parts.
My esp kicks in quite a bit because the roads are very rough here. It does take away my throttle big time, sometimes for about a second. I'm pretty sure it cuts timing, fuel, and air the same as letting off the throttle.
Here is a TSB for 04-06's that now makes sense.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a premature and momentary activation of the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) system. The premature activation of the ESP system may or may not be accompanied with the illumination of the ESP indicator lamp located in the instrument cluster. The customer may experience the momentary ESP system activation on a "clover leaf type turn, at speeds of approximately 25 to 40 MPH (40 to 64 KPH). This could also be described as a lack of throttle response or hesitation. Driving over speed bumps at a slight angle can also cause the same ESP event accompanied by lack of throttle response. The customer may also complain of low idle speed.
The customer may also experience MIL for one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Code:
I. P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1

ii. P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent - Bank 1 Sensor 1

iii. P0116 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Performance

It can be flashed for repair

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online