How does my shaft look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to chase down a noise. It starts after driving a short while and sounds like a click or thump the speed of the wheel. Seems to be passengers side. It gets loud enough that after while I fear something will lock up.

I hear it if in 4 high or not, in neutral or in gear when in motion. If I stop and put the Jeep up on jack stands I hear nothing when turning the wheels. No clicking while turning hard left or right.

I pulled the knuckle. Bearing feels smooth. Pulled CV axle. Joints seem tight and well lubricated. Boots look good. Axle seems fine.

I pulled the intermediate shaft certain that its the problem. It looks great to me. So I am stumped.

I did not get any differential fluid leak out when I pulled my shaft. Should I have? Could my fluid be low. I drained it and it looks good. Will replace and make sure its at the proper level.

Not sure what to try next.

Attachments

• IMG_9139.jpg
    IMG_9139.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9137.jpg
    IMG_9137.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 18

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Have you looked at the front driveshaft? Most common joint to fail and sound like that.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had pulled a rear CV off a new detroit axle drive shaft I found on craigslist and put it on my front drive shaft, so I kind of assume its all good. I guess the test is to take it out and drive without it?

The old one the boot was torn up good but made no noise. I grad the thing turn and shake it but not getting any definitive sense its bad.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Just so you’re aware, Detroit Axle is junk. You’ll be lucky to get a year’s use out of it. I used their complete front end rebuild stuff on my old Focus and ended up redoing it all about 9 months later with good stuff. There are other tales of horror here too.

Schinde

Reaction score
I have been trying to chase down a noise. It starts after driving a short while and sounds like a click or thump the speed of the wheel. Seems to be passengers side. It gets loud enough that after while I fear something will lock up.

I hear it if in 4 high or not, in neutral or in gear when in motion. If I stop and put the Jeep up on jack stands I hear nothing when turning the wheels. No clicking while turning hard left or right.

I pulled the knuckle. Bearing feels smooth. Pulled CV axle. Joints seem tight and well lubricated. Boots look good. Axle seems fine.

I pulled the intermediate shaft certain that its the problem. It looks great to me. So I am stumped.

I did not get any differential fluid leak out when I pulled my shaft. Should I have? Could my fluid be low. I drained it and it looks good. Will replace and make sure its at the proper level.

Not sure what to try next.
I had a similar issue on my 2007 Limited. Turned out it was a loose heat shield that somehow got bent and a corner was contacting the driveline. It eventually got really bad and ripped off/fell off before I could get home, prior to trying to fix it.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give the heat shield a good look when I put it back together and look to remove the front shaft. I know I have messed around with the starter heat shield a couple of times when cleaning up the wires and when replacing the starter.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ... it was the rear cv on the front drive shaft.

I read all those posts about the intermediate shaft and having just put a new cv on the drive shaft, I ASSUMED! I did try several things before taking apart the front end, spinning wheels jacked not-jacked, one wheel on ground in 4 hi, wiggle axles, even grabbed and wiggled front drive shaft.

What I missed before taking apart the front end and pulling out the cv axle and intermediate shaft is that the rear cv on the front drive shaft looks like it flinged all its grease out. Now that the drive shaft is out of the jeep I can wiggle the rear and hear the lack of grease and noise.

At this point I cannot blame Detroit Axle. It is equally likely I screwed something up when moving it from one axle to the other than the cv being sub par -- probably more likely on me.

Regardless, new cv for axle ordered from driveshaftparts.com .

Thanks for the help!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok ... it was the rear cv on the front drive shaft.

I read all those posts about the intermediate shaft and having just put a new cv on the drive shaft, I ASSUMED! I did try several things before taking apart the front end, spinning wheels jacked not-jacked, one wheel on ground in 4 hi, wiggle axles, even grabbed and wiggled front drive shaft.

What I missed before taking apart the front end and pulling out the cv axle and intermediate shaft is that the rear cv on the front drive shaft looks like it flinged all its grease out. Now that the drive shaft is out of the jeep I can wiggle the rear and hear the lack of grease and noise.

At this point I cannot blame Detroit Axle. It is equally likely I screwed something up when moving it from one axle to the other than the cv being sub par -- probably more likely on me.

Regardless, new cv for axle ordered from driveshaftparts.com .

Thanks for the help!
DETROIT AXLE PARTS ARE JUNK
for everyones future reference
driveshaftparts.com is who you need to order from

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you found the issue, did you grease the intermediate shaft well before putting it back together?

My stock intermediate shaft was clunking at just 50,000 miles (2008?). I replaced it and greased it well where the cv slides on and it still looks brand new. Greased it up again about a year ago.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir! I put about a mm film of good grease on both sides of the intermediate shaft and also in the female end of the CV axle. The intermediate shaft cv axle joint was bone dry with a little surface rust. I oiled up the o ring too, hoping it helps keep the grease in there.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driveshaftparts.com pretty darn impressive. The new cv rebuilt kit came in record time. Will rebuild and install today.

Shivholik, shaft will have a brand new base in a few short hours :)

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like a a .............. If you want specific shaping details its 6.8 inches with a girth of 6. As it goes up the the middle-top is slightly bigger than the rest so id say its 5.8 girth at the bottom 6.2 at middle top and 6 at tip.
I wondered when someone would respond with that:D

ice638879

Reaction score

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Member ice638879 why are you posting unrelated links?
I removed the links.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.