How did you end up with your KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny story about me having an automatic. I actually went to buy a stick at first but some rich girl with her daddy came and test drove the Jeep as soon as I got out of it. They were actually waiting for us in the lot to get back from a test drive. I said I wanted it and tried to put a deposit on my CC (I didn't have cash because I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did). Daddy ends up pulling $500 cash out of his pocket, walks into the sales managers office, shoves my salesman out of the way and says HE wants to buy the Jeep.

I throw my hands in the air, tear the sales manager a new one (I had the deposit first but the other guy had cash so he gets the sale?!) and stormed out. On the way out I passed by the stick Liberty. Smelled like a burning clutch and one of the fog light lenses was cracked. I just smiled and walked away. Never went back to that dealer.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From my thread in the Journal section....
In Feb. of 07, due to budget cut, I was losing my company car, an 04 Maxima. It was gold with tan leather and a sun roof. Once, I got the notice, I knew what I wanted- a WK Laredo 4x4.

So the search begun. I went to the Jeep dealers and found nothing to my liking. Across the street was another dealer...

I went over there and found 2 WK's. An 06 Midnight Blue 4x2 with grey leather and a sun roof, and an 05 Inferno Red Laredo 4x4..with the 4.7.

I loved the Red, except I wanted leather and a sunroof. Discouraged, I left.

So, I search again, and Carmax has an 06 WK Ltd. 4x4. It was white on gray leather, and had a sunroof. Alas, it was hammered.

Behind it, was the KJ. The Light Khaki caught my eye. I looked inside, and it had leather, sunroof, and 4WD!!!!! I was excited....

I called the sales rep and asked to have it un luck. It was in great shape. Only a scratch on the hood. So, I sat in it and liked. I asked if we could take it out. So, I took it out and only wanted it more.

I decided to sleep on it, and talk to the family (son was sold on it...he cried when we traded the WJ in 02) We thought we'd check new and other dealers one more time. Nothing. We go back that night, and we say "We'll take it". We rolled out with it at 9 that night. I was thrilled. I checked on about every hour that night.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at an 02 when they first came out and liked what I saw actually but the time was not right.

In 05 I was ready and just walked in and was looking at the GC but a little too pricey and so I looked at the KJ's again. In addition to 4wd I needed something that would tow 5,000lbs so it had to have a factory tow package. I liked what I saw but was looking for a Renne with the flat hood and off-road package etc, but couldn't find the one I was looking for. Finally asked for a cash price and was told dealer invoice + $100. So I took a black Ltd for a ride. It had 2 miles on it. Took the sales lady (a relative....don't ask) for a ride up the mountain in 4 hi and 4lo and on the interstate and brought it back with 50 miles on it. (haha) When I got back to the dealership I bought it.

The next day I took it up to Wakely Mountain and put 50 miles on it in 4wd.....haha

:D

Dave

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Eclipse GST threw a rod while crusing down the highway, and my girlfriend was visiting from 1000 miles away and we had reservations at a cabin in the mountains 3 hours from where I live 2 days from the time my Eclipse blew, so basically I needed a vehicle immediately. Took the next day off work and went shopping at used car lots. I was looking for a TJ but the ones I wanted were out of my price range, not to mention I had nothing to put down, which complicated picking up an older vehicle(according to car salesmen, it is harder to get approved for financing of an older, less expensive vehicle, makes sense in a way I guess). Probably the 3rd lot I visited, had a bunch of nice 4x4 vehicles, and I spotted the Liberty. I was also considering a loaded Ford Escape but I'm glad I didn't go that route, despite the issues I've had with my Liberty. I also had previous experience in a Liberty, my mom has a 05 2wd, and I always liked the torque of it and just the feel of it in general. Long story short, I haggled a bit with them, they put new tires on for me, gave me the price and payment I wanted, I borrowed $500 to put down, and I drove it away!

Midgear

Reaction score
I had an oldsmobile alero with every option but the sunroof.. and of all the options, only the power seat worked- my power mirrors, locks, windows, ABS, TCS, tire pressure monitor, A/C, you name it.. all but the power seat wasn't functional.. but man that thing looked secksy.. even to this day it's the only manta green metallic alero I've ever seen. loved that car, but wanted something else-

my mom hears that I'm looking for a different vehicle, so she goes on the hunt here and there and helps me look, and over a course of a week, she finally calls me and tells me theres a really nice looking blue Jeep.. she says it looks like something I'd drive.

so- excited, I go down to the lot she seen it at and it was a blue liberty.. not ever really paying attention to a liberty before, I was pretty interested in this one.. It was 2WD, which kinda bummed me out- if I buy a Jeep, I want to be able to go places in it!

As we were leaving (it was night time before I could get to this lot, just got off work at midnight), I noticed that sitting RIGHT behind this blue liberty, was a black one. Didn't even notice it was sitting there till I was about to leave. I immediately ran around to the back looking for a 4x4 badge.. and there it was.

after a "sweet!", I looked at the interior, and from what I could see it was flawless (it was dark..) went back the next day and test drove it.. loved the feel, loved the power, loved the insane amount of quietness in the interior, loved the black on black with CLOTH seats, the heater about burned my eyeballs out, the A/C was refreshing, the speakers worked, I had interior lights that came on when the door opened, I had a motor that ran very smoothly and quiet.. man it was awesome.. didn't wanna take it back to the lot.

Signed a stack of papers, gave him my keys and title with 500 bucks, and took off.. went and dropped it in a mud hole about 15 minutes later with the bald tires that were on it.. never got stuck!

almost slept in the damn thing that night.. but I didn't wanna become TOO obsessed. I missed my alero a bit afterwards.. but soon remembered what I had sitting in the driveway.

my only regret.. gas mileage.. but I got over that real fast.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, I waited a week at least before dropping into a mud hole hahaha. I stupidly pulled into a big wide hole, not knowing it was at least 3ft deep(water), a wave came over the hood when I first dropped in, and I thought I was screwed, but somehow I got out of it, I was shocked as hell really, but the Libby got it done. I attempted this again at a later date and got stuck, shucks.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too liked her ( the late 2001 model, the very first as You surely know ), but, as my $$$$ were not enough, I just gave up the idea . Also, one keeps away from early models...

Then, one day, on a beach I saw one parked and asked the owner '...hey, how's the thing working...' he replied '...well, nothing special...' but as the guy looked like a real jerk to me, I didn't pay any attention to him and got a brand new one.

The rest is History!

Did She satisfy me ? I wouldn't be here (well, for the nice people too :) :-({|=) and also, check out my signature :D

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I saw it one day at a local dealership liked the way it looked so I took it for a test drive and loved it. I was a little pissed afterwards after buying it finding out it was not 4wd. I even asked before I bought it if it was and the jerk of a dealer lied to me :mad:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
It was cheap,a Jeep. Nobody in their right mind wheels a mom mobile.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months of searching on Yahoo autos...I finally found a 5-speed I liked and that looked like it was in awesome condition (watched it for about a month while I saved up the cash) and priced fairly reasonably...when they lowered the price to $8995 I called, set up an appointment to see it. We drove down there, test drove it, I loved it, bought it a few days later, drove down in a snow storm to get it, drove it home in 4wd all the way xD

Also, when we saw it originally, it was at night, and it was night again when we picked it up, so we thought it was gold. Got it home, saw it in the daylight for the first time, and I panicked because in the lighting that morning it looked pink.

Needless to say I found out that it would look like several different colors dependent on the lighting as time went on...but at least it isn't ALWAYS pink =P

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story, slightly boring. Was having a mid mid-life crisis. Wanted a sportscar or a LJ Wrangler. Somehow ended up with a Liberty. :-k

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story, slightly boring. Was having a mid mid-life crisis. Wanted a sportscar or a LJ Wrangler. Somehow ended up with a Liberty. :-k

Similar story. 35 yrs old, recently divorced and driving a Caravan that I had purchased in Feb of '05. Traded it for the Jeep. The dealer had the Jeep on the lot for better than six months. Couldn't move it. Mini-vans and Ram 2500/3500s are all the rage here. Pretty much a straight across trade for the paid for '05 Caravan in Sept of '05. Kids like the Jeep a whole lot more than the van. It's been a winner with me for the last four and a half years. I'll keep it 'til it dies.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Lease was up on my Pontiac Vibe ... I was tired of feeling like I was speeding down the highway in a little black coffin so was thinking of leasing a Torrent. I couldn't really rationalize choosing a bigger vehicle without 4WD and a little ground clearance as I was headed up north soon. Then GMAC made my decision for me by not offering leases (on Pontiacs) anymore after I had leased with them forever. I would find out later of course why that was, but at the time it was like "screw you were done!"

I always wanted a Cherokee so I looked into it's successor and saw what some had done to theirs, researched the crap out of it, found a dealer that bought from Chrysler auctions off lease with amazing prices. (during the start of the economic meltdown)

Went in to buy a silver 05 limited, when I got there it was gone. There were 3 or 4 LTD's and a few Sports on the lot. Most had more than 50k km's on the ODO (my target). But there ... in the corner... glowing in all her glory with her nostalgic flat hood and old school mag Renny rims she sat. My wife said "Hey that's a cool one!" it was all over at that point.

I really can't believe I was successful in talking the guy down further because it must have been written all over my face that I had to have her :D

I have loved my KJ since day one and hope to keep her...and shhhh eventually use her as a work horse on the property .. pullin logs and such :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
wow some cool stories in here...Had rear wheel drive sedan..time for one more...
I was looking for a 4x4 as I need to get to work when it snows, down mountain terrain.
Was originally looking for a pick-up but changed my mind as I wanted a better turning radius and something that still fits in a parking lot. Did not do my homework, and basically thought Jeeps are tough enough. Looked at new, did not like the $35k prices and was shown a 2004 Rocky Mountain in Light Khaki 4x4 and took it for a test drive. The original build sheet came with it and only had 50,000 km with full history of repairs, garage stored, was like new. Opened the hood and it was new (still is) with all the tags. $7000 in maintenance over the 4 years the elderly lady spent during her lease. Was BCAA inspected with new brakes battery and all fluids flush and all like new again, no accidents. Decided on the spot this was a super clean Jeep, looked under and the paint was still clean. Made an offer (it was not cheap) they were asking a ton for it. Bought it and now it is mine..quite happy, but had to do all the interior/exterior light mods and a Setina push bar to really make it mine.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I was DD'ing a '93 Dually CTD regular cab. I used it to tow my drag car, but I had taken a promotion in '98 that had me working weekends again, so the racing stopped except for 1 or 2 days a year. I had sold the trailer to get it out of the way, and I had two kids under the age of 4. Remember that regular cab part? Incommando + car seat + car seat + Mrs. Incommando in a Reg. cab dually = less than a fun day.

I sold the dually and went to buy my LJ. I had just had another knee operation. As part of my test drive, I put the car seats in the LJ and was throwing the kids in the seats. It sucked. It hurt. And car seats where in my future for 4 or 5 years, anyway. I drove an auto Liberty, but wanted a stick. They scrounged a 6spd up for me, and I took it.

As a family vehicle, the KJ has been a much better choice for several reasons. Once they were old enough to scramble in back for themselves, I regretted the LJ decision, though. I may wind up with one yet.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked at a Jeep/GM dealership bodyshop,It was a very slow saturday and I just got done doing the dealer prep on a brand new black '02 Limited.Didn't have nothing else to do and the boss would not let me go early so I ventured up to the sales department,been thinking about trading in my '01 WJ since I put way to many miles on it in 1 year I had it(56,000miles).Couldn't afford a new WJ and never liked TJ's much(Rubicons not yet out).Little back story,in march of '01 we got our 1st KJ in and I hated it to death,IFS and it looked ugly.Well priced one out with all the options I wanted and with my discount(not much for special order) was over what a new WJ cost so I opted for the Limited I just did the dealer prep on.The deal was to good to pass up since they staright up gave me what I still owed on the WJ and took $7500 off MSRP of the KJ which was a pretty bare bones Limited(no power seats,no leather,no sunroof,no upgraded stero).Never left the delaership lot before I modded it,swapped the 245/75 MT/R's from mt WJ to it and never looked back.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How I went from Chevy K10 to KJ

Had a 1995 Chevry Silverado 5 spd Z-71, loved it, a real hot rod, fast and agile. Traded it for a 2004 Silverado v-6, 5 spd. Major mistake - slow, clumsy, a real slug. Wife comes home with a Liberty 2wd automatic. I actually liked it. So, one night, window shopping after hrs. on the Jeep lot, and find a 2007 6 spd Liberty. Owner (not salesman) shows up - I ask him how long he wants it to sit there? Take it for $17,000. Deal, get rid of Chevy.

I still miss the pickup, and sometimes would like to go back to a V-8 Chevy, but now they are all automatics. Guess I finish paying for the Jeep, then go to work on it - shocks/springs/skids/tires etc.