Horn not working after a Remote start installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2007 Liberty Limited
No beep at the steering wheel, nor on double tap of lock on key
15a Fuse tested good and replaced it anyway no change.

Pro local shop installed remote start 2 weeks ago and I just now noticed no horn but had no beep on double tap from the get go after install.

could the install have fried the horn itself?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep recommends always removing battery terminals before doing any electrical work first.
With horn connectors off, then you apply a separate power source/ 12 volt with a ground to test a horn.
It's probably a wiring issue.

Remote start systems are very invasive, & unless they do a perfect wiring job/ solder & heat shrink installation, I personally wouldn't call it a pro install.
Take it back to them & let them fix it properly.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may have used the scotchblock connectors and they are known causes of electrical problems. Does the remote start remote cause any beeps of the horn?
I put an Avital remote starter on my 2006 a couple years ago and didn't bother hooking it up to the horn. I do have remote locks and the parking lights connected. My guess is that you can see all the wiring they did by popping the panel below the steering wheel open and see what they did do

I usually strip some insulation off the factory wires and do a fancy wrap, similar to
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
and then solder it before taping it

Reaction score
Jeep recommends always removing battery terminals before doing any electrical work first.
With horn connectors off, then you apply a separate power source/ 12 volt with a ground to test a horn.
It's probably a wiring issue.

Remote start systems are very invasive, & unless they do a perfect wiring job/ solder & heat shrink installation, I personally wouldn't call it a pro install.
Take it back to them & let them fix it properly.

I took it to a 4.8 star local shop, (118 reviews via google) and they did a great job on the install I think. Its a Compustar remote start with the phone remote app and system, also had them beef up my car speakers too. Pretty sure they disconnected the battery for some time as my control center MPG was reset to 0.0.
I called just now and am taking it back on 2/23, but the tech got on the phone and he remembered me and said he did not wire the remote start to the horn so had no interaction with that system

Last edited:
Reaction score
No issues with the remote start or wiring found.
So
"With horn connectors off, then you apply a separate power source/ 12 volt with a ground to test a horn."
Can I just run wiring from the battery to the horn to test? I don't have a separate 12v source

Reaction score
I did not check the horn relay. so googled and found
https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/jeep/liberty/905-2002-2007-jeep-liberty-fuse-box-diagram.html
1/2 way down that page has relay and R8 Horn
https://fotohostingtv.ru/show.php/22087_knigaproavtoru01082607.jpg.html
more googling and should be behind the knee bolster?

Opened mine and only have 6 and a big one
https://imgur.com/dZjNFCV
no idea what they are for

and here is my engine bay block
https://imgur.com/a/m8dJSDd
no listing for a horn relay
so confused

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
No issues with the remote start or wiring found.
So
"With horn connectors off, then you apply a separate power source/ 12 volt with a ground to test a horn."
Can I just run wiring from the battery to the horn to test? I don't have a separate 12v source
That should work. Usually the horn bracket provides the ground so a wire from the connection on the horn to the battery positive terminal should make it beep. A test light at the wiring to the horn should let you know if all the wiring is good. Might need an assistant to honk the horn.

Reaction score
That should work. Usually the horn bracket provides the ground so a wire from the connection on the horn to the battery positive terminal should make it beep. A test light at the wiring to the horn should let you know if all the wiring is good. Might need an assistant to honk the horn.

thanks, any thoughts on the loc of the horn relay?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any shop that I ever worked in, Managed or owned, if something worked when it came in, and did not afterwards we repaired it.
I would strongly suggest to that 4.8 star shop that they repair it NOW, instead of you trying to figure out what they messed up

Reaction score
Any shop that I ever worked in, Managed or owned, if something worked when it came in, and did not afterwards we repaired it.
I would strongly suggest to that 4.8 star shop that they repair it NOW, instead of you trying to figure out what they messed up

I did and they found no issues with the wiring and did not tie into the horn at all. 40.00 out of pocket for the inspection too
Im just trying to locate the horn relay now to check it.
Thoughts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they tied into the horn or not really.
They installed the remote and more than likely moved, bumped or broke something .

Fuse #3 is for the horn in the fuse panel inside the vehicle on the drivers side fuse panel assembly.
Relay is under the hood in the relay panel assembly, R 8 if I remember right
added
Relay (Rear side)
R1 Power Window
R2 Rear Window Defogger
R3 Low Beam
R4 Power Sunroof
R5 Front Fog Lamp
R6 Door Lock
R7 -
R8 Horn
R9 Passenger Door Unlock
R10 Rear Fog Lamp
R11 Park Lamp
R12 Driver Door Unlock

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Once you locate it put a finger on the horn relay and see if it clicks when the horn is honked. The relay may be bad even if you feel it clicking but at least you'll know power's getting that far.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they tied into the horn or not really.
They installed the remote and more than likely moved, bumped or broke something .

Fuse #3 is for the horn in the fuse panel inside the vehicle on the drivers side fuse panel assembly.
Relay is under the hood in the relay panel assembly, R 8 if I remember right
added
Relay (Rear side)
R1 Power Window
R2 Rear Window Defogger
R3 Low Beam
R4 Power Sunroof
R5 Front Fog Lamp
R6 Door Lock
R7 -
R8 Horn
R9 Passenger Door Unlock
R10 Rear Fog Lamp
R11 Park Lamp
R12 Driver Door Unlock

and here is my engine bay block https://imgur.com/a/m8dJSDd no listing for a horn relay
Horn fune is 1? per https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/jeep/liberty/905-2002-2007-jeep-liberty-fuse-box-diagram.html
and 1 is also for the power sunroof and windows, which I have and all work fine
I did replace 3 regardless and still no horn

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online