Home-made Roof Cross Rails...coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm collecting stuff to build my own cross rails. I've gotten some T-clamps and several feet of 1 3/8" top rail. I want to coat the top rail and clamps with something to protect them from the weather, but whatever I coat them with needs to be durable enough to withstand ladders and lumber without being scratched off. It also needs to be black to match the factory side rails. I'm thinking about using spray on bedliner, but I'm not sure if this would stand up to stuff sliding across it.

Any suggestions?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own crossrails from 3/4" black pipe (about 1" od), lightly sanded and cleaned them with mineral spirits to get the oil off, then painted with Hammerite (two coats) Took about 20 minutes. Seems to be holding up after a few months.

I have a Rola basket on top, but if you're sliding stuff up there you might want to protect the finish on the top half of the pipe with some heavy clear tape (similar to the rock chip shield tape that goes on the front edge of a hood). Not sure any paint will take dragging ladders without scratching off.

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bedliner? maybe a bedliner shop could paint them with leftovers when they do a truck?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some commercial grade shrink tubing and slide that over the cross bars.
Use double layers.
Looks good and stands up to abrasion pretty good as well.
I've seen it in 4-6-8 foot lengths.

Ok, I'm an engineer and didn't even think of shrink tubing...sweet idea!:icon_surprised:

djta11

Reaction score
I made a roof rack from some iso struts and conduit I had lying around. Ill eventually use a bedliner to cover it but I'm still trying to find a non hazardous way to etch/prime the conduit. If you plan on this route, make sure you DON'T weld conduit!!

The fabrication was pretty straightforward and easy and I had it knocked out in a single evening with scraps.

I'll post pics if anyones interested but I only use it for camping trips since it dropped my mpg significantly.

Latest posts

Members online