Hit by lightning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty

Reaction score
Driving our 02 Liberty in New Mexico and got hit by lightning. Engine immediately died and horn started blowing. Had to pull the fuse on the horn to make it stop. Electrical was still okay - windows, doors, etc., but engine wouldn't turn over. Waiting for dealership to open, so thought would ask if anyone knows the following:

We get a no bus error when we turn the key. Any ideas?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on lottery tickets, I think you used up all your luck. Seriously though, glad no one was hurt.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Wat ?

Ty,

I don't believe it stopped your jeep. I mean in the TV spot they show it getting blown from a volcano and drive off? Sounds like false advertising to me

Good luck

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Somehow killed the computer it sounds like... wow, what an expierience... was it loud?? or did u feel anything... weird cause the jeep is grounded because of the tires. Any damage on the metal of the Jeep?

Bennett

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
Somehow killed the computer it sounds like... wow, what an expierience... was it loud?? or did u feel anything... weird cause the jeep is grounded because of the tires. Any damage on the metal of the Jeep?

Bennett

actually the tires really don't have any effect on lightning. It's the metal frame that protects the people inside the car, but that still doesn't guarantee that the lightning will go through the windows and what not. the couple of miles it has to travel to the ground is much more resistant than the few inches of rubber it could go through.

Glad no one has hurt though. Lightning isn't something to mess around with.

2003KJ

Reaction score
yep, "no bus" usually means a toasted computer, so thats why it will not turn over. Engine should still be mechanically fine, and the fact windows still work mean electrical (so far) is still good.

IIRC, computers for Jeeps usually run around the $500 area, unless you got some sort of warranty or something.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
But wow, the likelihood of being hit with lighting... what are the odds?

misterzero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather take the lightning odds than the shark attack odds.

Ty

Reaction score
Definitely a bizarre experience for us. It was a very loud bang, like someone exploded a barrel, and then popping noises, but those got drown out by the horn. And decided against buying lottery tix. \:D/

Figuring the lightning hit the antenna as the radio didn't work right after we hit and it exited the rear tire as it's flat. And there's a short as the battery was drained two hours after we were hit.

Thanks for the info on the no bus message. Called our insurance agent, and lightning hitting the car is covered, so no worries there. We just want to get home - we live in Oregon.

Anyone know how long it would take to replace the computer?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Getting to the computer shouldn't be hard. Its a matter of how long will it take the dealer to get one? I dont know if they keep those in stock at the dealer, probably a special order part.

As far as the short, it might just be the radio. Going on your theory of it coming in through the antenna and out the rear tire, it probably toasted the radio as well, and now it's doing some wacky things. Id have the dealer or whoever you take it to for the repairs, go over the entire electrical system and test the wires and such, making sure they are still reading what they should.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company totalled it. I don't think simply throwing a new computer will make it run, it sounds like there are some more serious electrical issues. Even if a new computer does make it run, I have a feeling that the future of this vehicle will be riddled with electrical trouble.

My $.02

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
styng88 said:
Wow. I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company totalled it. I don't think simply throwing a new computer will make it run, it sounds like there are some more serious electrical issues. Even if a new computer does make it run, I have a feeling that the future of this vehicle will be riddled with electrical trouble.

My $.02

Agree. Electrical problems can be very hard to trace them down. In fact, I would push for them to total it for that reason.

Let us know what the dealer says.

BTW, glad that you are okay!

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You might need a whole new main harness, if it melted wires...

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
styng88 said:
Wow. I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company totalled it.

Although it is a covered loss, I'd be amazed if they totaled it. Probably just replace the computer.

Ty

Reaction score
It's going to take until Thursday to get a new computer. They're still looking to see what else is wrong.
Our insurance adjuster will be out by Thursday to take a look at it and determine what should be done.
In the meantime, we're catching a flight home, but I will let ya'll know what the final tally is.

Thanks again for the advice and good thoughts!

Ty