High whine noise fix. Thought it was the pump, it was pulleys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daxlw

Reaction score
My 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with tow package was making a high whine noise at acceleration. It was not from the wheels. I first ordered a new steering pump from Rock auto $45.00. Problems with replacing the steering pump is that the 3.7L tow package has two fans, one electric, one clutch or mechanical fan. Getting the clutch fan off was the problem as there is not a lot of room with it attached to get to the pump. I didnt have the removal tool so I threaded a wire through the hole and tied it to the bolt above the fan pulley. The fan was easy to remove with a 36 mm wrench or adjustable wrench. I made sure to put anti-seize on the fan threads upon replacement. The new pump did not fix the whine but my Jeep has 144,000 miles on it so a new pump was not a complete waste of time in my opinion. I then replaced the two idler or tension pulleys with two from Rock Auto and a new belt. This fixed the whine. Car is quiet again.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you fixed the whine noise. We always recommend removing the serpentine belt and start jeep quick, to eliminate pulley noises for testing first.
A new complete tensioner assembly may be better than just 2 new pulleys, as it contains a new spring, and will keep belt tighter in the long run.
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/jeep-kj-liberty-gates-tensioner-belt-56405/

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah those tensioner units only last about 35kmi , ive got one under the back seat that started rattling a few months ago but the pully bearings were still good so figured why not keep it incase i need a spare

the whining that was coming from the passenger seat, on the other hand, i got rid of that.

Latest posts

Members online