High Speed Vibration @8,000 miles !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a high-speed vibration around 70-75 MPH in my wife's 2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4. It only has 8,000 miles on it and has been babied since new and never off-roaded. Mainly driven on flat roads and about 90% highway. The vibration is quite pronounced and is felt through the steering wheel.

I have had the tires/wheels balanced/rotated at least 3 different times. Very little difference made in the vibration.

I've been told (from a couple different Techs) the vibration is from "bad belts" and the tires are "out-of-round" and are defective.

So at 4,000 miles, we got rid of the OEM tires and put on Michelins. Vibration STILL present! So, we were able to talk Michelin into a Warranty replacement set of 4 tires and recently put on a completely brand new, different model Michelin tires.

Guess what ? After 1,000 miles on the brand new tires, the vibration remains !!

VERY frustrated especially since this vehicle only has 8,000 miles on it !

It's going back to the dealership this coming Monday.

My guess is the front struts are defective and/or worn out.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you possibly have a bent rim? That could be something to check.
I did ask one of the tire installers about this. He said their balancing machine automatically scans for this condition.

Plus our truck has alloy wheels. I don't think they bend....crack maybe. ??

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did ask one of the tire installers about this. He said their balancing machine automatically scans for this condition.

Plus our truck has alloy wheels. I don't think they bend....crack maybe. ??

Oh they definitely bend. I have a bent alloy myself. :(

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh they definitely bend. I have a bent alloy myself. :(
That bites. Does your truck have a vibration as well ?

I've had mine wheels rotated (I don't know how many times) and still get the same vibration up front. It never changes if the wheels are moved around.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any more info like : at a certain speed, only when on the gas, vibs through coasting, goes away in neutral, only when in a certain gear at a specific rpm range, gets worse in higher rpms, etc?

Any more info past it vibrates, has low miles and new tires. I don't see the front shocks being the issue.

I assume your under warranty and are going to pass it off to the dealer to figure out. If not, more info here will get you some suggestions.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any more info like : at a certain speed, only when on the gas, vibs through coasting, goes away in neutral, only when in a certain gear at a specific rpm range, gets worse in higher rpms, etc?

Any more info past it vibrates, has low miles and new tires. I don't see the front shocks being the issue.

I assume your under warranty and are going to pass it off to the dealer to figure out. If not, more info here will get you some suggestions.
Sure.

No vibration until my Jeep gets to 70 MPH. From 70-75MPH is where it is severe. Then fades out the faster you go....but still noticeable. The vibration is felt through the steering wheel.

The engine does not shake/vibrate when sitting still and revving the engine throughout idle - 6000RPMs. Always smooth as glass.

I have to double check about coasting from 75 MPH thing. I don't remember doing that. I'll check it on the way into work this afternoon and report back.

From everything I've researched and read, weak and/or worn out springs/struts/shocks will vibrate. The weak suspension will "bounce" going down the road. I've seen this on vehicles going down the road doing this. That of course is with severely deteriorated components.

Our Jeep has an appointment first thing Monday AM for the dealership to checkout.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited:

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, went ahead and did some more tests before I left for work.

1) Vibration noticeable from 60-90MPH. Most pronouned between 70-75MPH.
2) Shifting into Neutral between 60-90MPH doesn't change a thing.
3) Shifting in/out of 4WD at any speed doesn't change a thing.

Jacked the front wheels off the ground

1) Grabbing wheels and shaking, pulling, yanking shows no loosness in the wheel bearings,

2) Grabbing the wheel and rocking (the steering) side to side shows a significant amount of play in the rack and pinion! Rocking it real slow, the play is not significant, but when forcing it quickly side to side does show a very significant amount of play.

Keep in mind, this vehicle only has 8,000 miles and has been vibrating for at least 1/2 that mileage. Yes, we were fighting tire/balancing issues that whole time. NOT thinking components could be defective and/or worn out.

What is considered "normal" when testing the rack and pinion and/or inner tie rods ?