Here's something I never realized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never realized that while my 2002 had a key slot to unlock on the rear liftgate, the new ones don't. I realized that replacing my handle now. It confused the dealer too. They thought the second one they sent was still the wrong part, but DC said they dont make them with the key lock anymore. Small detail I never noticed.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that was part of the security system, didnt know they didnt make them anymore. My drivers door is the only one with the key hole.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Is my security system gonna be freaking out now? If so, can I get the computer reflashed or something to fix it?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think that is what he meant. I think he was saying that part of the security system was to remove all the key locks but the drivers side door so you could only open them generally with the key fob. If you absent mindedly open the drivers side door with the key the alarm goes off on the '06. Don't ask how I found that out.........or how many times! ](*,)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see now. Its installed and everything works perfectly. However, I think Im missing a part. Theres a metal plate that goes around the lock and attaches to two allen bolts on the side of the door. However, the locations for that are different on the new one and I have to find out what to do. Anyone have any ideas? By the way, if you install an 06 handle on an 02, you'll have an electrical connector to nowhere now (lock to glass on 02).

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
I see now. Its installed and everything works perfectly. However, I think Im missing a part. Theres a metal plate that goes around the lock and attaches to two allen bolts on the side of the door. However, the locations for that are different on the new one and I have to find out what to do. Anyone have any ideas? By the way, if you install an 06 handle on an 02, you'll have an electrical connector to nowhere now (lock to glass on 02).
How far off are the holes? I'm thinking maybe you could drill new ones in teh door and tap them to take the screws.

Kinda ***** that they don't carry that part anymore. I have a buddy who had a '60 Ford p/u and he needed a dome light for it. When he was doing some work out in the LA area he went into this huge Ford warehouse out there, slapped the dome light on the counter and said 'I need one of those'. The counter guy disappeared into the back for about 10 minutes and came back out with a brand new unit in the box. My buddy paid something like $10-15 for it and walked out a happy man...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go talk to the dealer tomorrow (OH NO!) and ask them about it. Right now, I get the feeling that the bracket I need just has a different part number and for that reason wasnt included. Hopefully I wont have to drill, but we'll see.

*Edit: I could even fab something up to fit I think. If I had a digital camera, id show you what I mean.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might have gotten the whole thing at a junk yard with the key for that year too!