Help ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willy 440

Reaction score
I'm New To This. I Own A 2005 Jeep Liberty With A Crd
2.8 Turbo Diesel. It Has 56000 Miles On It . I Always Pulled A 16 Ft
Open Trailer With 2 Suzuki 400 4x4's And Camping Equipment. Never A
Problem And Always Ran Good. I Bought A 16 Ft Enclosed Trailer And Carry The Same Equipment But Now After 120 Miles My Temp Gauge Starts To Climb On The High Side. The Jeep Is Capeable To Pull 5000lbs + And I'm Only Around 3500lbs. It Pulls Real Nice, No Swaying. Does Anyone That Owns A Liberty Crd Having Any Simular Problems And Have A Cure?
I'd Appreciate Any Answers Cause I Have A Trip Planned For About 500 Miles Coming Up In Sept.

Willy 440

Reaction score
Hello and (welcome)

Does the electric coolingfan on the front work? Does the mechanical one on the engine feel ok? Does it spin a little heavy if you move it by hand? Are there 12 million dead bugs inbeded in your aircon rad?

Yes Thank you. I know the electric fans working. I was just thinking after i posted that i wonder if the cores are dirty? wiggling the fan would tell me about the water pump bearing. I'll check that to.

Willy 440

Reaction score
The mechanical fan is not on the waterpump. On the CRD the waterpump is powered by the timing belt, you cannot see it while it's behind the black metal cover.

Anyway, blowing out the rad's would be a good place to start...

You run your aircon while towing?

The aircon rad is placed in front of everything so air gets warmed up by the aircon rad, then goes through the intercooler rad where it gets warmed up a bit more and only then reaches the engine coolant rad...On hot days towing at low speeds your temp may rise a bit...

Do you have an auto or a manual? If you have an auto add cooling the gearbox to this.

You could try downshifting so engine rev's go up, then the coolant flows quicker and it should cool down. You do have O/D off when towing? ( if you have an automatic....:rolleyes: )

Also a closed trailer gives more air resistance so the KJ needs to pull a little harder...

Thanks, My 2005 Liberty CRD is an automatic and I had it in 4th (OD off). the air was off with windows down. I know the trailer was going to give a little more resistants so I went with a V Nose for the aero part of it. I'm going to try and clean the cores of the rad and the aircon part of it. I thought about flushing and changing the coolant to.

Members online

No members online now.