Help the Gas Guzzling!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've read a lot of posting on the K&N Air Filter, Tornado, Air Intake Systems, Etc.... However, can someone give me a nice little list of possible mods that one can incorporate into their Lib for better gas mileage.

At this current Time I avg 15mpg. Is this normal? I'm not a heavy highway driver, but at least if I hit what the sticker shows for City I should be happy.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can give me!! BTW, I changed jobs recently, at my previous job I drove nearly *all* highway miles and I was doing a pretty good 19-20+ MPG, DAMN CITY driving!!

-Peace

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the look of ur lib.. looks nice...

For me, I just did the exhaust and intake and a free flow cat.

I get about the same as you and drive hard.

Bennett

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
k and n, maybe a new exhaust, and synthetic oil should help out some...
(lets not get into the whole tire psi thing... :-s )

keep her in and around 2k..rpm's..too...i've been, and it's been doing wonders

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blckkj said:
Okay, I've read a lot of posting on the K&N Air Filter, Tornado, Air Intake Systems, Etc.... However, can someone give me a nice little list of possible mods that one can incorporate into their Lib for better gas mileage.

At this current Time I avg 15mpg. Is this normal? I'm not a heavy highway driver, but at least if I hit what the sticker shows for City I should be happy.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can give me!! BTW, I changed jobs recently, at my previous job I drove nearly *all* highway miles and I was doing a pretty good 19-20+ MPG, DAMN CITY driving!!

-Peace

15 is a bit low. I average 18 to 21 on my '04, but then I don't have the lights on top, or the bar on the front. Your KJ is pretty cool looking, so just enjoy the ride! =D>

2003KJ

Reaction score
I average 14-15 on my bone stock 03. And I do keep it around 2K rpms (2.5 at the absolute highest) unless I need to get around somebody quick.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yup, that's a nice looking one. =D> Remind me to pick up a lightbar. \:D/

Hah... Belle Tire... I've spent a lot of time at that place, and will prolly be spending more there in the near future.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a stock 05 sport and i get around 16-17mpg all city. All i can say is keep is easy on take offs keep it 2000k or under (i know, sometimes its hard to do). I'm somewhat skeptical of K & N filters, some people see gains, some people see losses. I think half that is psychological, people thinking they are seeing gains when nothing has changed. You can't really go by the EPA estimates on mileage since there are so many factors that go into how many miles you are going to get out of a tank.

Also, stay away from gas with ethanol blend. Having the right tire pressure helps, check spark plugs, maybe use a fuel cleaner. The biggest thing by far is driving habits, improve those and you will see gains.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I MUST ADMIT... it is fun to punch it in the KJ with it's rear wheel drive. I've been driving too many front wheel drive cars... (sigh).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
I MUST ADMIT... it is fun to punch it in the KJ with it's rear wheel drive. I've been driving too many front wheel drive cars... (sigh).
Hehe, very fun. I've been easy on the KJ lately, so I gave it a workout today. Hehe, yup, RWD combined with a *real* engine, and not some funky 4 ****** in a pig of a vehicle, makes for a real fun drive.

But however....

This SRT-4 apparently thought I Wanted to race him because I passed him. We came up even at a couple lights ahead, and, well.... I wasn't the one who ended up with the ticket. \:D/

Oh yeah, I reset the EVIC to see my mileage average.... 15.3. #-o Oh well.... that's what happens when you're revving up to 4000RPM I guess!

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:

haha yea, I do it daily.. =D>

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Oh yeah, I reset the EVIC to see my mileage average.... 15.3. #-o Oh well.... that's what happens when you're revving up to 4000RPM I guess!

wrc.gif Have to have some fun!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
wrc.gif Have to have some fun!

@ 2.50+ a gallon, i'll be bored, and drive like granma for the time being...
(Tho a few days ago, I went WOT cuz this idiot was doing 10 mph below speed)

2003KJ

Reaction score
i'll admit it is fun to get on it every now and then. Also fun tonight driving through flooded streets (roughly 7-8" of rushing water in a massive downpour), passing all those Neon's and Civic's and other small vehicles that were stalling out and pulling to the center lane..fun fun!!! And not just crawling either. Doing roughly 20-25, pourin ass rain, water goin up and over the hood and back onto the windshield.....damn I love my Jeep!

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with 2003KJ. I recently realized that it was my highway driving that was killing my mileage. I used to get somewhere around 14-15 mpg, driving around 75-80. Just dropping down to 70-75 has improved my gas mileage by about 2 mpg so far. I got up to 17.56 this fillup with roughly equal city/highway. Woohoo! I'm still hovering around 2500 rpms, and I think I'll try Jon's advice of keeping her around 2k and see what that turns out.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
i'll admit it is fun to get on it every now and then. Also fun tonight driving through flooded streets (roughly 7-8" of rushing water in a massive downpour), passing all those Neon's and Civic's and other small vehicles that were stalling out and pulling to the center lane..fun fun!!! And not just crawling either. Doing roughly 20-25, pourin ass rain, water goin up and over the hood and back onto the windshield.....damn I love my Jeep!

(Cheers) Here is to good times! (Cheers)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
2003KJ said:

(Cheers) Here is to good times! (Cheers)

I say "Cheers to that" as well!!