Help :Liberty Stuck in 4wdLo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlNC

Reaction score
I feel reely really stupid just bought the Liberty for my daughter and drove it home from the bank. Read the manual and wanted to make sure the 4wd worked so I put it in 4wd in our drive way back out, with some wheel bump while turning. Proceeded forward and tried to get it into 4WDLo (bad idea I think now) since we were still on Pavement. Tried to get the thing out of 4wdLo and it is stuck. Have tried to get it unstuck by using methods in the manual with no success.
I am heartbroken for her this is her first and I think I have messed it up good. that's why Im up at 3am
Hell I haven't even registered the car yet
Plan to have it towed to a shop this morning
Does anyone know how to get this damn thing out of 4wdLo
HELP

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have Selec-trac?
and have you tried gentle reverse to unload the drivetrain?
If you have Selectrac will type out a handout that is supposed to stay with the vehicle for the customer to remove that gives some hints. Gather not many see it.
Solid pavement is not for Part time or 4lo operation as the centre diff gets locked. If you didn't go far it might be able to be tickled out of gear with luck.
Cheers
Auberon

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Try main trany in neutral,rock or let jeep roll a little while applying some pressure to 4x shifter.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it this is a used Liberty CRD since you posted here.

If you don't have any luck getting it out of 4WDLO on your own and do have to resort to having a shop look at it, have them check out the cable that runs from the 4WD select lever to the ******.

If the ****** has been out of the vehicle or worked on (if a CRD, good chance of that if the F37 recall for the torque converter has been performed), it may be they didn't get the 4WD shift cable adjusted or reinstalled correctly. Heard of this happening on several occasions.

If this is indeed the problem, good news is from what I've heard it's not that big a deal to fix.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can also try driving it on to the lawn, or gravel, something "loose".

Get it going a mile or two an hour, shit transmission to neutral and then it should shift out of 4lo.

On the pavement there's too much binding in the drive line to get in an out of 4lo easily.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also try jacking one tyre off of the ground to let the drivetrain unload. Also, it may be a little hard to shift the transfercase into and out of low if it has never been engaged before. When I swapped a used 242 into my WJ I also got stuck in low and had to play with the shifter for a few minutes to get it out, but after shifting it at few times the lever moved easily.

carlNC

Reaction score
retmil
thanks for the info I am taking it to a transmission shop on monday. I will let them read your post to make sure they know about the cable cause I'm thinking it's the cable too. When trying to get to 2hi there is nothing but spongy feel. (like using an old calipe brake on a bycycle that's got yoo much play or is stretched out. (What branch of military are your retire from my father was army and airforce 28 years)