Help! Brake hose issue with 2004 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrj_442

Reaction score
My best friend has a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited, V6, auto, which has developed a brake fluid leak on the drivers side. The brakes went to the floor, and upon inspection, the fluid was coming out of the coupling on this hose. Brake fluid was shooting out of the coupling, and was all over the fan shroud:

-
You must be registered for see images attach

As I am unfamiliar with these vehicles, what I am trying to determine is what is this routed to? Does this vehicle have an auxiliary boost system? It looks like it is attached behind the power steering pump, and routed up to the left front fender. It does not look like it is attached to the caliper hose, or junction block.

I can pull the hose and take it to the Napa hose shop, but it would help if I knew a bit more about the braking system on this.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated, as this will be her son's vehicle, and it has to be safe. I plan on working on this either tomorrow or Saturday.

Thank you,

mrj_442

mrj_442

Reaction score
I believe it does. I will check on that tomorrow. Thanks for the manual, this hose looks like it will be fun to change...ugh. Why they made that with a coupler is beyond me.

Here's another question: I saw in the manual that you are not supposed to pump the brakes, and that you should start with the master cylinder,then junction block and so on, using a jar with brake fluid. Used to the old way of pump up brakes, hold, open bleeder. Would the other way work better?

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think youve posted a picture of the power steering pressure hose. That is in no way related to the brakes.

Looks like you have two issues going on. The brakes do not use a rubber hose in the engine compartment.

mrj_442

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Why would there be brake fluid coming out of the coupler when the brakes are applied? Is there such a thing as a hydro boost on this vehicle? This does look like a power steering hose, that's what is baffling.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like there is a rusty brake line running under the leaking power steeling hose. Brake fluid is most likely coming out of it.

No hydro boost on a USA 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 has had the power steering hoses sweat steering fluid for years. Just enough to look wet but not enough to be an issue. The brake hoses are however prone to failure at the rubber/metal junctions. If they are fat at the crimps, they are about to fail. Fortunately when I lost one last year it was in the driveway at home. It had swollen from rust internally to about 4 mm fatter. Since then I have found 4 other KJ with the same thing. Particularly the front wheels at the struts.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, one tell if its power steering fluid vs DOT brake fluid is that Dot will remove/blister paint. PS wont. So if your hose area is intact paint, it is probably a distraction.

mrj_442

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I looked closer at the picture, and yes that line behind the hose has to be the issue. It is probably spraying fluid onto the coupling. Will look at it again in the next day or two.

Latest posts

Members online