Hello! New to the forums!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies (and gents), just wanted to post my initial 'hello' message. I decided to join this forum because it seemed like a great friendly place and was fairly active.

I own an 04 sport, no lifts, pretty much all stock. I gladly switched out the wrangler st tires for my Yokohama at/s a few months back. Everyone complained about the stock tires. I though they were ok, not great, and I actually squeezed about 46k miles out of them. I might have been able to get another couple of thousand but I live in Seattle and we were just heading into winter, so...

Anyway, the mods I'd like to make (in no particular order are):

Lift, 1" to 2".
Rear Diff locker (interested in the ARB air locker).
Winch (and winch-ready bumper). Worried about air-bag issues- don't want to compromize that feature.
Extra lighting.
Roof basket.

About two years ago I wrote an article on the Jeep Liberty published on www.allpar.com, re: the IFS controversy.

If you're interested, you can read it here:

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/jeep-enthusiasts-and-liberty.html

Looking forward to reading and posting.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I like the article and agree with most of it. I didn't read the whole thing. I wanted my Liberty because it was roughly the size of a Wrangler, just a little bit bigger. It had more room for cargo, better creature comforts, and didn't have a removable cloth top (Not really compatible with the rainforest's of Washington.). In stock condition the 2006 line up is fairly equal off road. In my opinion nobody buys a stock Jeep to go extreme wheeling, and it's the "oh no it's an IFS Jeep" mentality has prevented some companies from making more after market accessories for the Liberty.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I like the article and agree with most of it. I didn't read the whole thing. I wanted my Liberty because it was roughly the size of a Wrangler, just a little bit bigger. It had more room for cargo, better creature comforts, and didn't have a removable cloth top (Not really compatible with the rainforest's of Washington.). In stock condition the 2006 line up is fairly equal off road. In my opinion nobody buys a stock Jeep to go extreme wheeling, and it's the "oh no it's an IFS Jeep" mentality has prevented some companies from making more after market accessories for the Liberty.

Thanks! After owning my jeep (and doing some pretty hairy 4x4'ing-- for stock) for almost four years now, my biggest weakness is the open diff. Extra clearance would sure be nice-- a little less scraping on the serious rocks would give me peace of mind. Aside from the fact that it's easy to lift a straight axle, I've yet to be in a situation where I thought "Oh man, if only I had a solid front axle". cryinghard.gif I have been in that situation with my open diff, however. "Gee, I could get out of this muddy, rutted 40 percent grade if my airborne wheel would quit spinning". kopkrab.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul.....very good article.

Welcome to the board. Enjoy.

I would agree about doing something about the open diff before considering a lift. From the sounds of your article I use my jeep in a similar fashion as you. I have been strapped out of the mud because my right rear was merrily spinning in the water/mud. That is not pretty.

Dave