Heater blowing cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdev

Reaction score
Hello,

Two days ago, I noticed my heater in my Jeep Liberty 2002 stopped blowing warm air. The fan seems to be doing fine, I am just getting cold air coming thru the vents. At the same time my engine has trouble starting ( happened twice so far). For example this morning the air temp is about 30F and when I started my Jeep, it started right up no problem. I drove to a store say 5 minutes away and turned the Jeep off. I got back in my Jeep and turned the key and the starter was turning but the engine refused to turn over. I waited about 30 seconds, 'gave the engine some gas' and it turned over, I 'revd it' for about 15 seconds, and from there it ran fine. I am wondering if the heater issue and the difficulty starting is related. I started having this problem a few days ago, so I don't have any more info on the symptoms other than these. It seems to me, when I first start it in the morning, it starts OK, it is only when I turn the engine off for a few minutes and try to restart it, is when the starting problem shows up. I am wondering if the problem is a fuse, but I just checked the coolant level and there is no coolant. Can't figure out how this drained out? If this is the only problem ( will check later for a leak ) then is their a special coolant for a Jeep Liberty?

Thanks,
Jim

jimdev

Reaction score
I added coolant (50/50) and it is still blowing cold air. Ironically the temp gauge even without the coolant stays at cold ( before I added it). I have not tested the 'restart of the engine problem'. So if the coolant is not the problem for blowing cold air what could it be? Also is the engine restart issue related to the fan blowing cold air. Could it be vacuum hoses?

Thanks,
Jim

jimdev

Reaction score
BTW here was the problem. The water pump was shot.

1. So no coolant due to a leak in the water pump.
2. No heat inside the cabin area due to no coolant.
3. Car wouldn't start because of safety switch when engine gets to hot.

Jim