hardwire radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has a 12v adapter that plugs into the cig lighter then just cut it off, add a fuse to the positive wire, and run to battery or fuse panel.

What state are you in? Didn't know those things were legal anywhere anymore.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Can wire it to any of the ignition powered wires for positive, then ground it... That is, to leave the unit on, and have it power on when you start 'er up. READ the next paragraph though:

Now, it all depends on the hardware you have. The Cig lighter plug itself, may have a step down in voltage, like to 5 or 9, so you can't simply cut it off, then wire the wires to a 12V source. Mine is a 12V in unit, so I did cut the cig lighter plug off, and wire it directly to the cog lighter, but it's on ALL the time, so I use the power switch on the unit.

For example, my Jeep's Satellite radio is like 6.5Volts, so if I were to cut the cig lighter plug off, and wire it direct, I would blow it up. HOWEVER, I have another one, that is a 12V unit, that IS wired direct, in my Pontiac Vibe. It turns on with the car, I used the ignition switched power lead for the Radio, just spliced it in.

Detectors are still legal in some states... I know NOT in Virginia... I have a list somewhere...

Check the specs for your unit, for voltage it actually uses...

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is not illegal in my state... oklahoma!
it's a whistler xtr-260... http://www.ewis.ca/onlinestore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2262
so... when i cut the cord, there will be two wires... just want to make sure so that I am not making a mistake!

Yep, two wires, but of course you have to know which one is positive and also the voltage like he mentioned above.

If you have a good meter you can check the output voltage from the cig adapter plug to make sure its not less than 12v, and then of course figure out which wire is the positive.

I love to laugh at people who have radar detectors and get nabbed with laser radar. Even more hilarious is the laser radar detectors!! The beam width is small enough that you basically have to be hit by the radar for the detector to know its in use, by then they already have you! And all the license plate crap doesn't work either.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
My radar detector has two wires, that went into the Cig lighter plug. One is black with a white stripe, and other is black. The one with the WHITE stripe is the positive, so yours would be also. They have to indicate polarity somehow.

There are many variations of polarity, but, one wire will have markings of some sort, white dashes, white stripe, white lettering; and one will be solid- is the negative wire.

As stated, measure the voltage at the plug end, where it goes into the Detector, if it is 12V (13.x with engine running) then it's fine. When you cut the lighter plug off, you are eliminating the fuse that is inside the plug. I have a device with 1 cig. plug outlet, with three 3AMP quick disconnect terminals that I use. So, any device I cut the plug off, and wire direct, has a 3amp fuse...

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to run power from the fuse panel, these are pretty handy. Saves trouble of getting wires through the firewall and no chance of breaking anything trying to jam a wire into the fuse slot.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just don't want to delve into cutting the wires and not know what I am getting myself into with this little thing... ya know!

L

lil black liberty

Rip did you ever get this thing hooked up buddy? If not I'll help ya, it's pretty simple.. let me know..

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BEFORE YOU CUT ANY WIRES READ THIS!!!!

pretty much every auto parts store has a "cig lighter section" where they sell splitters, adapters, etc. They sell adapters that are simply a cig lighter female end, with 2 wires coming out of it, intended for this use. Ive bought several, theyre usually $2 or so. They're nice cuz you dont have to cut yours off, and you can still utilize the stock fuse! I just hardwire the little adapter in and plug my radar detector in and give it a really good tape job so it doesn't wanna wiggle out and so i don't have to go back in behind the radio to push it back in.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
It's just a "Y" adapter, one Male into the Jeeps plug, that has TWO Female plugs on it. There are good ones, and NICER ones with USB charge ports (like I have) with plastic cases and good design, or, ones done with wires. All auto stores like Pep Boyz, AutoZone, and Advance auto have them.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Cig...--121299------------------------.html?noddp=Y

There are pics there of one to three as well.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need an extra outlet... I already have one. I just get tired of remembering to turn it on! Yeah i'm lazy.

imowt

Reaction score
i am trying to hook up a satelitt receiver. i have a lighter adapter which the receiver gets plugged into. the other end of he cigarette lighter adapter has the two wires. (one would be hot and the other would be ground) but how would I connect this so I dont have to use my cigarette lighter to power this up

imowt

Reaction score
I have a jeep wrangler and have a gps that I want to power up directly into the fuse box. I know garmin makes some type of adapter I can get but can I use a cigarette lighter adapter instead and go to the fuse box? If so I still need some instructions on how to do this.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
imowt: With those devices you may not be able to wire them directly. The Sat Receiver, depending on the model, the voltage is stepped down. GPS units also have stepped down voltages.

I have an older Xact Sirius radio that is a 12V input, so that is wired directly in the company car. I also have another one, in the jeep the "inV", and it's not 12V, so I cannot wire it directly. Both my GPS units are 5V, so wiring them direct will not work either, and will damage them. The plugs have the power supplies in them that reduce the voltage to what they use.

You can only direct wire devices that ARE already 12Volts, and not lower.

IF your devices are 12v, then you can cut the plug off, and wire direct. As I said, there are two wires from the plug, one is a solid color (-), the other will have stripes, or some kind of markings on it (even words); THAT one, is the positive(+) wire. Remember that the plugs also have fuses in them, so you lose that protection to a certain point.

Latest posts

Members online