hard shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the past 2 days ive been noticing some harder/ jolting shift between 1-2 and sometimes 3rd gear. 42rle auto, thinking do a filter change and replacing some fluid and go from there ? sure it needs it anyway and i have the fileter and fluid sitting in my garage. Just curious of possible causes or all in my head

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has it ever been flushed before?

If it has, I'd take it to a dealer/good trans shop and get it flushed out, otherwise I'd do the simple pan drop and take it from there.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill start with the pan drop and all that then contact the dealer i got it from and ask ....they will probably tell me no no matter what and suggest i come in and get it from them :emotions34:

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your fluid levels. Hard shifting could be as simple as having low fluid in the transmission. If that's good, then start the rest of the troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
follow the instructions in your owner's manual for that. it details how many miles min to drive before checking fluid level.
you'll want to check it at operating temperature. I believe the 42rle calls for fluid check in Neutral vs park for the 45rfe.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ill start with the pan drop and all that then contact the dealer i got it from and ask ....they will probably tell me no no matter what and suggest i come in and get it from them :emotions34:
Keep in mind that the dealer has the correct ATF+4 and the transmission re-circulating machine.
A dealer flush will include a new filter, pan seal warranty as well as all the fluid replenished as new.:gr_grin:
They could also check for any stored transmission codes.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
follow the instructions in your owner's manual for that. it details how many miles min to drive before checking fluid level.
you'll want to check it at operating temperature. I believe the 42rle calls for fluid check in Neutral vs park for the 45rfe.

It's park as well. And after 10 miles. I got good at it after going through my transmission issues.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fluid color looked good and i used the oil dipstick ( after a good clean of course ) so unsure of accuracy of levels but there's definitely plenty in there. Thanks for the suggestions everyone , ill report back if anything else comes up after the pan drop/ filter