Hard shift, then ****** codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kim'sJeep

Reaction score
Hey guys. A couple weeks back I was getting on the freeway and was trying to pick up speed fast, so the ****** kicked into passing gear. When it did that it did it hard, kind of like it had a hard time figuring out passing gear. No check engine light came on, but when I got home I checked the fluid. It was about a quart low. Added more and actually checked for codes and nothing came up on the dash, but when I started it and ran codes on my scanner, it did have a transmission code. I chalked it up to it being low on fluid. Cleared the codes and went on my way.

Today, I was driving it for about an hour and was going up a small incline on a 2 way small road and it acted like it kicked down a gear, but when it did, it kicked hard again. I drove a little longer and it didn't seem like it wanted to go back to it's normal gear, so I got in a turn lane and figured as I waited for the light to turn, it would shift back into first and I would go to where I could check things out. Well, it didn't go out of that other gear. I pulled over, turned it off and plugged my scanner into it. It through 3 codes. One was P1684, which I'm not worried about as I know I disconnected the battery the last time this did this. P0700, which I know is a general code for something going wrong in the ****** area and lastly, the actual problem code of P1776.

Once I got the codes, I started it back up to see what it would do. I mean I had to get home, so had to see if I could drive it. LOL It acted normal. I drove it home about 45 miles on the freeway with no issues. I have since even drove it around the neighborhood and no issues exept the engine light is on.

So, my scanner tells me "reported fixes" the first one is replaced ******. Well, I don't want to do that if I don't have too. LOL Next is add fluid, then next was to do a flush and add new fluid. That has already been done about a month ago. So I don't feel that will fix anything. The next one was Program Electrical Throttle Module. I wouldn't even know how to do that. LOL Then last one is to replace the Transmission Solenoid pack.

So with all that said, what are your guy's experience with this? What did you do to fix the problem? I was thinking of maybe starting a little on the cheaper side and maybe replace some of the sensors on the ******. It is almost like it doesn't know sometimes when to shift. Sometimes I can be coming up to a light and it turns green before I get there, so I step on the gas and the jeep seems like it doesn't know what gear to go in, sometimes it will rev high, then go sometimes it will just kind of do a little buck type thing and then go. Kind of hard to explain. LOL

What do you all think I should start with? Also, since it seems to be shifting fine now, think it is safe to drive it? Like I say, it seems like the issue starts when it needs to go to passing gear or drop down to climb a hill or something. Flat land driving seems to be fine.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like an issue in the valvebody. Mine had that code along with a few torque converter codes and it ended up needed a trans rebuild.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did this all start after the flush, filter and fill ?
Who did this work?

Kim'sJeep

Reaction score
Did this all start after the flush, filter and fill ?
Who did this work?

About 3 weeks after the fluid/filter flush. When it did the thing on the freeway, is when I noticed it was a quart low. I checked the invoice and it showed they only put 4 quarts in. I thought it took closer to 5 with a flush and filter change? Anyway I put a quart in. It's been about a week and a half since then. I checked it again after it's episode yesterday and it is full.

The ****** shop I took it to is what I thought was a decent one. He has been in the business for a long time. We have taken other vehicles to him with no problems. Although, now I am doubting his work if he only put 4 quarts in.

I drove it to work and back today and all is going well. I am just babying it, trying not to make it go into passing gear. LOL We have decided we will go get some sensors out of other ******'s at the wrecking yards and give those a go first. If that doesn't work, I am going to check the donor Jeep we have to see if it is the same ******. If it is, we will try that ******.

Question. When I was at the ****** guy today, he told me there is some sort of Pressure switch/ solenoid on the passenger side of the ******. I went to an auto parts store to see about getting one, and they couldn't find anything. What sensors are on the 42RLE? I only found 2 speed sensors, input and output on the driver side of the ******. (found them on diagrams that is, not on my own ******). I'm waiting on a quote from the ****** guy and when he calls I will tell him to be more specific on the switch he mentioned. He is quoting me for a solenoid pack change, and a rebuilt ******. I wanted quotes just in case we decided to go that route. :D

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the other pressure sensors for the 42rle are only accessible with the pan dropped if I am not mistaken.

Acemuniz

Reaction score
Did you ever get a solution to this? I’m having a similar issue myself. I’m convinced it’s the kick down solenoid which is in the pan but wanted another opinion

Kim'sJeep

Reaction score
Did you ever get a solution to this? I’m having a similar issue myself. I’m convinced it’s the kick down solenoid which is in the pan but wanted another opinion

I have not. For one, I haven't heard back from the ****** guy on the quotes I wanted. Also, I think we have decided to start with replacing any solenoid we can on the ******. Rule those out first. We will be getting some from wrecking yards. We also have a donor Jeep that we may end up robbing the ****** out of, if it is the same.

I will post once we change solenoids.

I am still driving it, just not trying to make it work to hard. I'm with you as far as the kick down solenoid. Mine seems to only act up when it has to kick down. It does have the ocasional blip when not at a complete stop then take off again, but one of my other cars gets confused in that situation too. LOL

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My first concern is did they absolutely w/proof use ATF+4 transmission fluid?

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it shift ******* the 3-4 shift, or was it just the 1 time on the 4-3 shift? Also, how does it behave on the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts? Mine randomly started shifting ******* 1-2 and 3-4 shifts and then about 3 days later gave me a bunch more neutral gears. If you're going to drop the pan and valve block out i'd recommend getting a transgo shift kit and install it while you're in there.

Kim'sJeep

Reaction score
does it shift ******* the 3-4 shift, or was it just the 1 time on the 4-3 shift? Also, how does it behave on the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts? Mine randomly started shifting ******* 1-2 and 3-4 shifts and then about 3 days later gave me a bunch more neutral gears. If you're going to drop the pan and valve block out i'd recommend getting a transgo shift kit and install it while you're in there.

It seems to shift fine in all gears. Only thing I get occasionally is when it gets to about 45-50mph it drops the rpm, but I have read that is normal. I also sometimes get it to where it doesn't really know what gear to go in. Like when I am coming to a stop and the light turns green, if I get on the gas harder then just casually stepping on it, it acts like it shifts kind of weird. That doesn't happened too often.

The main issue seems to be when the passing gear is needed or it has to kick down to climb a steeper incline. Well, that is the only 2 times it has acted up that is. LOL

I have driven it to work the last 2 days after the "limp mode" incident and it seems to be doing fine. I am babying it though, trying to keep it from going into passing gear and what not. I do plan on changing the sensors, just need to get time to go get some. :D