Handbrake warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sword361

Jeep Cherokee/Liberty KK year 2008 2.8 CRD
Reaction score
Hello Jeep Friends,

my Jeep Liberty/Cherokee KK 2.8 CRD has a problem. The red hand break warning light lights continuously. Im not using the hand break, so the hand break is not applied. If I pull the hand break the light is flashing. I checked the hand break after that and set the hand break.
Does someone else know what to do or what the problem is?
Looking forward to your ideas...

Best wishes from Berlin, Germany!!

Nagim

sword361

Reaction score
Your handbrake switch is loose.
Your handbrake switch is loose.
Are you sure its the switch and not something else. Because i was checking the switch and everything was fine. If i pull the hand break, the warning light is blinking. So it sends the signal to the car, if i pull the hand break. So thats the reason why I think, that the switch is working. If I odont pull the hand break, the light lights continuously.

I will checkout tomorrow the the break fluid and the contact of the break fluid inside the canister.

Do you or someone else have another idea, what it could be?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same brake light also comes on if your brake fluid is low (due to worn out brake pads or a leak). Be sure to check those.

sword361

Reaction score
The same brake light also comes on if your brake fluid is low (due to worn out brake pads or a leak). Be sure to check those.
i will check it out, thanks !

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Are you sure its the switch and not something else. Because i was checking the switch and everything was fine. If i pull the hand break, the warning light is blinking. So it sends the signal to the car, if i pull the hand break. So thats the reason why I think, that the switch is working. If I odont pull the hand break, the light lights continuously.

I will checkout tomorrow the the break fluid and the contact of the break fluid inside the canister.

Do you or someone else have another idea, what it could be?
The switch may be working, but if it has come loose from its mounting it can indicate partial contact, which as I read it would be the likely cause from the symptoms you describe based on the information you initially provided. Thus becoming the most likely fault candidate.

If upon inspection, said switch is firm in its mountings, but the symptoms persist, the next logical step would be to disconnect the leads and check the function of said switch utilizing a multi meter set for resistance.
If both those items , easy to check with minimal invasiveness, indicate normal switch operation, then it is time to dive into more difficult to troubleshoot mechanical linkages and difficulties.

It is always best to work smarter, not harder and always investigate the most likely cause of a fault.

But, if you feel the need to disassemble a a third of your vehicle chasing the least likely cause of a relatively common fault others have had and solved then by all means embark on an excellent learning operation. ;)

Ugeneste

Reaction score
Hello Jeep Friends,

my Jeep Liberty/Cherokee KK 2.8 CRD has a problem. The red hand break warning light lights continuously. Im not using the hand break, so the hand break is not applied. If I pull the hand break the light is flashing. I checked the hand break after that and set the hand break.
Does someone else know what to do or what the problem is?
Looking forward to your ideas...

Best wishes from Berlin, Germany!!

Nagim
Check the cable of hand break first and then check the left front break sensor

Michael Noland

Reaction score
I drove an old Chevy for months with the light on. I finally figured out it was the brake fluid level. The reservoir had a front and back, and the back one was empty. It was a pickup, and I never noticed the dfference in braking. Check your fluids.