Groaning nosie at low speed turn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Intermittent noise, from a stop, on a sharp turn, like pulling out of a parallel parking spot . 2004 4x4 w/45k. Ball joints replaced under the recall. Belt looks good, fluid level for p/s looks good.

Any ideas?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's making a growl in a turn and does not do it going straight (or you don't notice it going straight) it is most likely a front wheel bearing.

Dave

dotcentral

Reaction score
I just wore out the stock goodyears and replaced them with a used set of Cooper LT A/T 22575r16 about 500 miles ago. The height of the tires is very close to the ones that came off. they were free from my Dad, so figured I'd wear them out and get something better then.

It is a groan, brief but pretty noticeable, intermittent in nature. In fact I've only heard it 2-3 times.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Groan sounds like power steering pump to me. Your tire size is actually a stock tire size so I doubt that is the problem. I have never hear wheel bearings groan before.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds odd, but do you only hear it when you basically just start the vehicle, and pull out of a parking space or what not, or within a few mins of starting?

dotcentral

Reaction score
do you only hear it when you basically just start the vehicle, and pull out of a parking space or what not, or within a few mins of starting?

Took me awhile to get back and reply. I have been working overtime the past few weeks and just realized I had a new reply/question.

BillyBones, yes when first starting up and pulling out. In fact it is starting to do it more and more and starting to see a few stains in my driveway. I just ran it through a chasis wash to clean up underneath. Hopefully if the power steering or whatever it turns out to be is leaking I will be able to see it easier.

I had my annual inspection about 3 weeks ago and I asked the guy to check the brakes (longshot) and the power steering to see if he could find anything. At that time everything checked out fine, and he couldn't duplicate the noise.

Last edited:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it is wheel bearings as they drone not groan,and they would do it in a straight as well as corners although it would sound worse as weight is shifted onto it in a corner.And it wouldnt be just when starting off.I'd be trying to find were that fluid that is leaking is coming from .

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds odd, but do you only hear it when you basically just start the vehicle, and pull out of a parking space or what not, or within a few mins of starting?

i get the groaning noise sometimes. I haven't heard it in a long time though. It happens when its cold out and when I pull out of a spot doing a max turn on the wheel and when the jeep has been sitting a while.. say overnite. i only here it once and then its gone.

i haven't though much of it until now.

dotcentral

Reaction score
I have not noticed any new puddles, so it could have just been the a/c dripping. I had been running it up until this week due to the mostly sunny & warm weather. Lately I've been parking facing uphill, so instead of dripping at the usual spot the moisture could have been running to a different place before dropping. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Since I switched from the heavy 10 ply worktruck tires to Yokohamas the groan has been less frequent and less loud. It does seem to be mostly in cooler weather when I hear it.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Turns out the noise was not from the front, but the rear. Guess my hearing is bad.

It was the parking brake. I rarely use it on automatic trans vehicles and it was rusting, the build up of rust scale was enough to rub. Each morning pulling out of the driveway it would rub a little, causing the noise until the rust wore down. Each night it would rust back and the next morning it would start all over.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey Billy,
I just spotted this topic. I also have the same problem, and just like you describe. It is not necessarily when I pull out of parking space, but it is when I make a fast turn and the front kinda gets pushed down to one side. I can swear that it sounds like the driver side tire is rubbing (when turning right), but why does it rub when it is cold and not when it is hot? Shouldn't it be the opposite, if in fact it is rubbing. Suspension and Shocks get softer as they warm up, so they should flex more and rub more? I rarely hear it later in the day. It is like GRRRHHHGHHHH noise. It is hard to tell if it is plastic or metallic.

Turns out the noise was not from the front, but the rear. Guess my hearing is bad.

It was the parking brake. I rarely use it on automatic trans vehicles and it was rusting, the build up of rust scale was enough to rub. Each morning pulling out of the driveway it would rub a little, causing the noise until the rust wore down. Each night it would rust back and the next morning it would start all over.

Parking brake!? It rusts overnight? So they de-rusted it and now you don't have the problem? I used to use parking brake all the time (it is not an excuse not to use it on Automatic). I guess I should start using it, but then we will have to deal with the parking brake sticking.. I don't think mine is parking brake issue, It's gotta be the new tires rubbing in the front.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Well, it made the noise saturday, sounded to me and my girlfriend like it was coming from the front. I'm going to try using the parking brake all the time, and see if I can eleminate it as the source of noise. I think it is the power steering, but my mechanic (local garage, not a jeep/DC place) hasn't been able to hear it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it made the noise saturday, sounded to me and my girlfriend like it was coming from the front. I'm going to try using the parking brake all the time, and see if I can eleminate it as the source of noise. I think it is the power steering, but my mechanic (local garage, not a jeep/DC place) hasn't been able to hear it.

They will never hear it. It is like one of those boo-man ghosts in Super Mario games, where when you turn your back it haunts you, when you turn around and face it, it looks all sad. Jeep is like that, other people will almost never hear the stuff we are complaining about.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Well, I still have this noise, kind of a low moan. I have noticed it when pulling straight out of a parking spot lately, without turning the wheels. I'm trying to remember to set the parking brake, but just not in the habit with an automatic equipped car.

Makes me a little nervous about the long trip we are about to take. I have had it checked twice by a local/independant mechanic, he can't find any thing to cause it and keeps saying it must be the power steering. I'd love to believe that but I'm paranoid about these sorts of things. I've never had a power steering noise like this, and I've had lots of cars in me 25+ years of driving.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably nothing. Jeeps makes noises, its normal. Just make sure the pads are ok.

I never let the ****** take the load of holding the Jeep. Mine is never parked without the parking break holding the Jeep.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
dot, I recently started getting some new noise, it is there when turning but only when I apply brakes at the same time.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Mine never made any noise until about 2-3 months ago. I heard the same noise once again this morning, seemed to be coming from the rear this time. This was stupid, but I was p.o'd so I looked to make sure no one was around & grabbed the P-brake handle and pulled it up. Well, we were having some misty rain at the time so I went into a pretty good slide. Dumb, I know.

I can live with the noise. Just hoping it's only harmless noise. Neither me or my mechanic have been able to track it down.

BTW, My brake pads are good, front and rear.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Follow up report.

Well, guess it was the parking brake after all. I have been using it much more often and the noise has not come back. Guess I had some scaley rust from not using it and that was the cause of it all.