Got all my parts now but need reassurance?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krawlr4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got all my parts now but need reassurance/advise?!

Ok, I have a 2003 KJ with a 2.4L about to lift it and heres what I have in my possession so far..
OME 927's and 948's
Rancho front and rear shocks
Extra rear ISO for each side (not sure if I should do this of not yet)
JBA 1/4" spacers for front (again not sure about this ether)
Teraflex bump stops
Daystar bump stops for rear

Here's what I'm uncertain about before I do this lift job.. I've done a lot of research before ordering parts and so I went with the consensus on the springs, the extra ISO's and 1/4" JBA spacers. Not much talk about the lil ol 4 ****** and OME spring rate that works the best.
Are the 927's going to be too stiff in the front or will it be ok even with the smaller 2.4l engine? I plan to hopefully one day add a ARB bumper but not anytime soon and to maybe help with the weight 'equation' I'm a big, heavy guy (390) so not sure if that makes any difference but I figured I'd put that out there!lol

Should I go with the 927's or swap them out for the 926's?

Also, I'm not looking to get it too high to cause me BJ or cv problems and I'm not ready for JBA Arms just yet but plan to do that next year probubly, so should I go with the extra spacers or just stick to the springs? I would like to have it sit level when it's all said and done and be at least 2.5" or tad higher though, just don't want any other issues right now.

Could I safely run the 1 stock ISO in rear and 1/4 JBA spacers in front to get a good level ride and not go to much over 2.5"?

Help me out pros, please! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd stick with the 927/948 combo.
With the top plate and extra upper rear isolator you will be in the 2.75-3 inch range over new stock front and rear. Should be level or almost level
As far as the UCAs , you need them for sure anything above the 3.35- 4 inch range. For lower you can get away without although they are a great upgrade

krawlr4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with the 927/948 combo.
With the top plate and extra upper rear isolator you will be in the 2.75-3 inch range over new stock front and rear. Should be level or almost level
As far as the UCAs , you need them for sure anything above the 3.35- 4 inch range. For lower you can get away without although they are a great upgrade

Thanks Tom! I plan on doing whatever I can to the Liberty as money/time permits and the JBA UCA's are next on my list for sure!

So you think the 927's wont be too stiff with the 2.4L motor?

I'm really exited, I've had this KJ for 5 years and finally its getting a little lift with some new wheels and tires

So if I understand right, if I use the extra rear ISO and the JBA 1/4' strut plates, ill yield about 2.75"-3"? Would I be
pushing it to do just that to get an extra 'safe' 1/2", I would like that plus I already bought them! :)? Will it still be
close to level with the spacers or would I need to fine tune it with Conduit nuts?

Also one more question, when assembling the front shocks/springs, do you need to pull the shock shaft all the way out?
The new shocks I received are fully compressed and it doesn't look like it can be put together that way?!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom! I plan on doing whatever I can to the Liberty as money/time permits and the JBA UCA's are next on my list for sure!

So you think the 927's wont be too stiff with the 2.4L motor?

I'm really exited, I've had this KJ for 5 years and finally its getting a little lift with some new wheels and tires

So if I understand right, if I use the extra rear ISO and the JBA 1/4' strut plates, ill yield about 2.75"-3"? Would I be
pushing it to do just that to get an extra 'safe' 1/2", I would like that plus I already bought them! :)? Will it still be
close to level with the spacers or would I need to fine tune it with Conduit nuts?

Also one more question, when assembling the front shocks/springs, do you need to pull the shock shaft all the way out?
The new shocks I received are fully compressed and it doesn't look like it can be put together that way?!

Thanks guys!

With the 927+ top plate / 948 + one iso your basically running my lift without JBA UCA

With the 3.7 L, i see ~21.75 - 22 inches wheel center to fender or 3 inches lift on corner post settlement. This puts a bit of rake with the back end slightly higher.

Since your running the 2.4L. You might be closer to level. Adding anything else to the front without the uca arms might be difficult alignment wise but i'm sure there are some that say its doable.

Jumping ahead an upgrade when you go for bigger tires. I think the general opinion about running 245 75 16 on the 4 cylinder is a real dog even if you have enough lift to clear them. Since you can not go any steaper in gearing unless you upgrade to the steel diff , you don't need the 3 inches plus lift required for that size.

If your good with 245 70 16's as your next size i'd stick with the top plate / 927 combo and plus minus an iso to trim it.

krawlr4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 927+ top plate / 948 + one iso your basically running my lift without JBA UCA

With the 3.7 L, i see ~21.75 - 22 inches wheel center to fender or 3 inches lift on corner post settlement. This puts a bit of rake with the back end slightly higher.

Since your running the 2.4L. You might be closer to level. Adding anything else to the front without the uca arms might be difficult alignment wise but i'm sure there are some that say its doable.

Jumping ahead an upgrade when you go for bigger tires. I think the general opinion about running 245 75 16 on the 4 cylinder is a real dog even if you have enough lift to clear them. Since you can not go any steaper in gearing unless you upgrade to the steel diff , you don't need the 3 inches plus lift required for that size.

If your good with 245 70 16's as your next size i'd stick with the top plate / 927 combo and plus minus an iso to trim it.

Thanks Cardhu! This helps a lot and makes tons of sense so thank you for your input! I did purchase rims and tires already, I went with LT245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain tires and the rims have a lil more positive back spacing so it should kick out the wheel/tires about 3/4 of an inch from stock.

So Im just gonna go with this then..

927's and 1/4" JBA plates in front
948's and 1 extra top ISO in rear
Rancho shocks front and rear
New Moog shock mounting/top plates, hardware and new ISO's all the way around.
Teraflex front bump stops
Daystay rear bump stops

I will post up before and after pics! Hoping to get this done this weekend!
Thanks everyone for for helping me out! :party36: