Got a BJ last week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out and picked up a front set of BRAKE PADS (**EDIT** Morse Ceramic Pad, Lifetime warranty). I also replaced the front rotors while I was at it with Duralast rotors from Autozone.

I picked all of this up for $100. Now I'm seeing what I paid for. My brakes continue to squeak even though I'm slowly breaking them in. I put 400 miles on the Jeep since and the squeak just does not go away. I am really beginning to think these brake pads are not worth it. I wanted to go with the EBC Green Stuff brake pads but didn't want to wait for an order.

My stock brake pads looked like dough after being thinned out with a rolling pin. Just ridiculous. I'm suprised my brakes did not give.

So now my dilema is, do I go out and get the EBC Green Stuff pads??? Will they be quiet and less dusty? Also, should I just go and spend the xtra moolaa on some Higher end rotors like Powerslot or something else? I'm going to have to do the back probably in the next 6 months. How does the mechanic thing go? 2 fronts for every 1 back regarding pad replacement?

Anywho thanks for any suggestions on my situation...

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but you are not alone in your dilemma! Maybe not on the Jeep, but on my Ranger I had the exact same problem. I put Bendix Titanium Metallic pads on the factory rotors and the squeaking started. Everyone said "you didn't resurface your rotors and that's why they squeak". So I took it all back off and had the rotors turned and got brand new pads (same ones)....no change at all. So I got the Morse Ceramic like you said and that stopped the squeak for about 3 miles, then came back again. I didn't know what else to do but learn to love it! I'd like to say that after a while you don't notice it, but I'd be lying!!
The only good thing about my ceramics was I didn't have to clean my wheels NEARLY as often!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I put the Duralast Gold semi-metallics on a couple of weeks ago and haven't had any sqeaking since. I didn't get the rotors turned or anything. I went ahead and got the backs figuring I'll put them in when I go to install my lift (which will *hopefully* be Sunday).
MoladoGuy said:
How does the mechanic thing go? 2 fronts for every 1 back regarding pad replacement?
I think thats a pretty good statement. Your fronts do about 70% of the braking in most instances so the backs tend to last longer.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ok so i'm not the only one who thought something else when I saw the title....show's were my mind is this morning...LOL

As far as the brakes go, i've never heard much of anything good about pads from Autistic Zone....thats why I always buy my stuff from Napa...that and I get a discount \:D/

Matter of fact, it's time for some pads and rotors on the front of mine....today's plan is to pull the wheels off and inspect to see how much life I have left in them....starting to get a squeel out of them every now and then, and with about 36K on them, i'm not surprised they're wearing out.

My advice to you would be to see if you can return them and go grab a set of ceramic's from Napa.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Ok so i'm not the only one who thought something else when I saw the title....show's were my mind is this morning...LOL

As far as the brakes go, i've never heard much of anything good about pads from Autistic Zone....thats why I always buy my stuff from Napa...that and I get a discount \:D/

Matter of fact, it's time for some pads and rotors on the front of mine....today's plan is to pull the wheels off and inspect to see how much life I have left in them....starting to get a squeel out of them every now and then, and with about 36K on them, i'm not surprised they're wearing out.

My advice to you would be to see if you can return them and go grab a set of ceramic's from Napa.

I agree. Napa always carries top quality parts. Just ask any auto mechanic where he get his parts. Usually Napa, Carquest or some local place. Autozone is a little cheaper, but you do get what you pay for. Autozone is the walmart/k-mart of auto parts.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Eddo said:
2003KJ said:

I agree. Napa always carries top quality parts. Just ask any auto mechanic where he get his parts. Usually Napa, Carquest or some local place. Autozone is a little cheaper, but you do get what you pay for. Autozone is the walmart/k-mart of auto parts.

Agreed...Only thing Autozone is good for me is for dropping off my old oil after an oil change.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this was normal for ceramic pads? Ive always heard they make more noise. They also do not brake good for your everyday driver b/c they only work to their max when hot.. Did you notice any improvement in braking MoladoGuy?

I would love to know what kind of pads my jeep has from the factory. Ive never had a hint of brake dust on my rims.. I have noticed they are kinda loud when braking going downhill at very slow speeds. Idk if you remember Eddo, at slade they made noise all day long.. I thought it was the plastic coated chrome rims amplifying the noise, but it does it with my steel rims also.

I would wait alittle while longer MoladoGuy and see if the noise goes away..

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a decrease in noise...It only now occurs when braking above 40mph...If I brake lightly to slow down some I'll hear the squeak until I press a little harder.

I have not had a problem with brake dust on them. Only 300 miles on them so far but I'm gonnna give them the 1000 mile run before I jump ship.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I have noticed a decrease in noise...It only now occurs when braking above 40mph...If I brake lightly to slow down some I'll hear the squeak until I press a little harder.

I have not had a problem with brake dust on them. Only 300 miles on them so far but I'm gonnna give them the 1000 mile run before I jump ship.

Increase or decrease in braking? O:)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I thought this was normal for ceramic pads? Ive always heard they make more noise. They also do not brake good for your everyday driver b/c they only work to their max when hot.. Did you notice any improvement in braking MoladoGuy?

I would love to know what kind of pads my jeep has from the factory. Ive never had a hint of brake dust on my rims.. I have noticed they are kinda loud when braking going downhill at very slow speeds. Idk if you remember Eddo, at slade they made noise all day long.. I thought it was the plastic coated chrome rims amplifying the noise, but it does it with my steel rims also.

I would wait alittle while longer MoladoGuy and see if the noise goes away..

Ceramic pads are suppose to be quieter and brake better. The pads you are talking about are mainly some sort of large metallic content pad used in racing.

Some info about ceramic pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=88

The KJ just uses some sort of semi-metallic pad. The stock brakes on libertys are kind of noisy. Every single one I've seen make some noise. Mine can get so loud when wet that people will stare. However, I still have about 1/3 life left at almost 50k so they seem to wear well.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
Ceramic pads are suppose to be quieter and brake better. The pads you are talking about are mainly some sort of large metallic content pad used in racing.

The KJ just uses some sort of semi-metallic pad. The stock brakes on libertys are kind of noisy. Every single one I've seen make some noise. Mine can get so loud when wet that people will stare. However, I still have about 1/3 life left at almost 50k so they seem to wear well.

Eddo:

I have never had a noise problem with my stock pads. I ran them to 67K and was nearly hitting metal. Of course the noise began when my pad was disenegrated. However, I never had a squeak from them (lucky?).

I'm unsure about the Ceramic pads only because of my driving habits. They tend to perform the best during high brake temps while reducing heat fade. However, I drive in the city and I probably do not exceed 50mph for a very short amount of time. I don't even drive often. They dont have enough time to heat up to work effectivley. This is another reason why I might go back to a semi-metallic (EBC or Bendix brakes).

JeepJeepster:

The braking has significantly increased. Although I have had some pretty bad brakes for nearly 10K from my stock pads. I would say they brake just as good as the stock ones. However, my concern is the weight of the KJ and the ceramic pads.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Eddo said:

Eddo:

I have never had a noise problem with my stock pads. I ran them to 67K and was nearly hitting metal. Of course the noise began when my pad was disenegrated. However, I never had a squeak from them (lucky?).

Probably, there is even a TSB for the issue on brake squeal. Mine got so loud on a 4wd trip to colorado last year that you could hear me from a mile away. Sounded just like the metal on metal contact you get when your pads are completely gone.

Surprising you mention the issue with ceramic pads. I've never heard nothing but good things about them. If you go back over to LOST there are quite a few threads about them and everyone seems to love them. I wonder if it is just auto zone quality ceramic pads. My dad put a set of cheap old auto zone semi-metallic pads on his Grand Cherokee and it would barely stop. The whole had to put the pedal to the floor and stand on the brakes to stop. He finally swapped them out with some Napa ceramics and it made a night and day difference.