GoodYear Wrangler HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trap

Reaction score
We recently purchased a new 2010 Liberty that came with the 235/65-17 Goodyear Wrangler HP's.

Was just wondering how they worked on snow and ice, since we're almost into winter here,

Thanks
Trap

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine came with those when it was new and they were not good in the snow and I replaced them with A/T's after it snowed a couple of times.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are great DRY road tires, they have good traction and they are sturdy, give you a good steering response, but for off-road or bad weather, especially rain, I would stay away from them. They are not only terrible, they are dangerous.

Slap 4 nokian vatiivas and never look back, that's what I did. The best tire you can get for the price on 17's. There are others, but they are either too agressive or just fancy looking like silent armors or triple treads. I did a lot of research and went with nokians, and these vatiivas just get better.

Trap

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I actually got to try them in a little snow this morning and they seemed ok, but then there still pretty much brand new. So we'll keep an eye on them and see what happens, Guess I better budget for a new set fairly soon,

Trap

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Thanks for all the replies, I actually got to try them in a little snow this morning and they seemed ok, but then there still pretty much brand new. So we'll keep an eye on them and see what happens, Guess I better budget for a new set fairly soon,

Where abouts in central Alberta you from?
The white stuff we get here (When we're lucky) those tires totally suck!
When Jen & I lived in Red Deer I had a set on a work truck which I drove to Rocky Mountain House at least once, twice per week and those tires were fine in the dry hard pack snow.

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still burning off my stock pair and offically have given up on them. Rotten ice, snow, mud, rain. generally anything that isn't dry asphalt. Conversely really good on that, quiet and so forth. I kept them long enough to almost wear them out, as far as i'm concerned. About half way to wear bars (40-50,000 km).

I've had them in really heavy rain on the highway and occasionally the ESP / traction control would kick in pretty hard.

Went and bought winters my first year soon as I tried them in snow. Got some unexpected snow and ice this year and was a pretty good reminder to change them.

Won't be buying again.

Trap

Reaction score

Where abouts in central Alberta you from?
The white stuff we get here (When we're lucky) those tires totally suck!
When Jen & I lived in Red Deer I had a set on a work truck which I drove to Rocky Mountain House at least once, twice per week and those tires were fine in the dry hard pack snow.

That's right about the area I live in just a might south around Sundre, your right we don;t get a lot of the wet snow around here.

Could also be since the tires are so new. We'll just keep trying them to see what happens, don;t imagine there's a lot of demand for used tires in that size.

Trap

Contemplator

Reaction score
260,000 Kilometers on my '07 4th set of tires

Bought my '07 brand new when I lived in Vancouver. Moved to PG and took a job traveling the North year round. I have put on 260,000 Kilos (mostly Highway) and have gone through 4 sets of tires including the stock tires. The stock GY Wrangler ST's sucked really bad in the snow and wet. Bought Nokian Vativiia and was really impressed, but they wore out really fast. The next set were Yokohama Geolander IT. Those were really good as well and lasted longer than the Nokians. Was short on scratch for the 3rd set and went with Cooper discovery M&S. Huge pieces of crap. They never bit in anything, and wore out super fast. (you get what you pay for) I just got a set of GY Wrangler Silent Armour and am pretty happy so far. I have put about 8000 kilometers on them and the rear tires are only slightly worn. I am really happy with the road noise reduction so far and the longevity is supposed to be pretty good. I will post again when i change these out.
So my rating on the 4 sets of tires i have gone through: (best is #1)
#1 - Yokohama Geolander IT
#2 - GY Wrangler Silent Armour
#3 - Cooper (only better than stock because they were winter rated)
#4 - Stock Goodyear
Hope this helps anyone that comes across it.