Good street tire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also posted this at L.O.S.T...

I did a complete 360 today in the rain!!! This was a first for me. I always have alittle fun in the rain with my locker, but today it was different. I was pulling out of campus taking a left at the redlight. I gave it alittle gas and around she started to come. I let off the gas and turned the wheel all the way right but she was gone. My front right right tire bounced off the median and I rolled back alittle. I cut the wheel all the way left and gave it some gas and spun it back around. I must say i would love to have that on video b/c I felt like I was in nascar. I didnt turn it back around, but SPUN it back around! I bet those people sitting at that redlight pooed their pants. Laughing

ANYWAY, does anyone know of a really good street tire that I could get? Now that I have 2 sets of rims and tires, I want a dedicated street and offroad tire(already have offroad tires). Im tired of these crappy goodyears almost getting me killed everytime it rains. Let me say that its not fun at all when Im doing 70mph(speed limit is 65mph and I just try to keep up with traffic) and take a small turn on the interstate and i can feel the entire jeep sliding sideways into on-coming traffic! Shocked I looked around on tirerack but they only have a couple tires in 235/65/17 and I do not want a tire any bigger than that. I was actually thinking of getting one thats smaller for towing and less downshifts on hills.

Some tires I was looking at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

Im putting the generals on until I can get some new tires on the 17in rims. I like my life alittle bit to much to die b/c goodyear ***** at life. Rolling Eyes

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this awesome traction control system.

Check it out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Its an additive so you dont even have to buy new tires.

Its really simple to use, when you feel the urge to drive poorly you just take the SUPER TRACTION XLR2000 and strike yourself in the forehead with it, and shazam! Perfect traction for as long as your blackout lasts.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tripletred GY Forteras and love them particularly in wet. Got em based upon Cons Reports 2005 review of All Season passenger tires... rated No 1 for the tripletred passenger tires so I got the SUV Fortera version.

I had the GY Fortera's HL's and also the Tripletreads based upon Consumer Rep's SUV/truck in 2004 and last years Top rating for passenger tire who compare them side for wet, dry, handling braking emergency etc etc objectively and found them good too. I had the stock GY ST, GSA and also the Mich Artic Ice snows. The Trips gripped as good as my snows. I highway mostly and city with little or no off roading.

I buy the best tire on the market based upon CS report since I spun out on stockers long ago too.

My advice is that the ratings on the tire shop sites are fine but are subjective to the individual based upon their past tire usage and don't measure them objectively... it's like I like KJ's while others like Explorers... all opinions and everybody has one...

Pix available if somebody would post em for me....

Can't comment on others as I have not tried them on the KJ..

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dueler A/T revos are very good on the highway, i love em

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cannot spend that much money on a revo. I can get the yoko geolanders for $90 a pop and they are awesome tires. My brother has them on his cherokee. The triple treads are also very expensive. ive really not found what Im looking for yet, Ill keep looking. Thanks for the advice though!! \:D/

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrecked pix

JeepJeeperster,

Remember you posted my pix of the wrecked KJ on stocker GY's...

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=84971&highlight=#84971

That is why I get the tires that Consumer Report rated No 1 each season. There are the only few square inches of contact on the pavement (not offroad tires) so good tires are critical... and we all know the stockers after one year are too hard to give good traction in wet.

I can't afford not to put the top rated tire on...

You can get them on sale 4 for 3 sometimes too at Sears I think. BTW, I am in the Pac NW so it rains like Noah's coming here.

I have about 8 full sets of wheels w/ tires for the Lib and swear on the GY Forteras Tripltread and then HL's. I even have the top rated snows: Michelin Arctic Aplins......but hate the GY ST and GSA/RSAs. The stockers were made for quiet comfortable ride while maintaining good mileage... they are a compromise tire .... not good at anything.

I have 6 MTR's but never drove on them cuz no lift (Aeh)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, I remember those pics. You do not understand how many times I have almost wrecked b/c of these tires. I think spinning out has done it for me with them. I just hate to waste them since they still have some tread on them. Ive got my generals on and gosh are they awesome! The ride, handling, the roar, it all makes me so happy! \:D/

Where do you keep all of those tires?! And I thought it was hard to store 4 wheels. 8-[

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires

They have the same footprint as your 4 tires but I stack them to the ceiling x3 and have some loose in the garage. My wife is very accommodating. 8-[ I have several sets of stockers which I may only use 'offroad' which is really gravel and logging roads but due to the high precipitation here, I got my GY Fortera HL in 17" in chrome OEM wheels right now and will switch to GY Fortera Tripletreads in Rubi's in fall and finally Michelin Ice on steelies in winter.

Admittedly, I feel my GY Forteras are better than my Michelins since the Ice tires have so much siping that the are not as good braking and handling in rain. In snow they are better but it only snows here a few days a year here whereas it rains alot here. I also run a set of new Bridgestones on an AWD vehicle which have been good so far. I have a set for the KJ but have not mounted them as of yet.

My biggest concern is hydroplaning.

I have fishtailed alot with the GSA/ST/RSAs and I try to drive the other cars in the rain if I wear them on the KJ. Again, the stockers get too hard after one year and IMHO should be removed immediately if any signs of traction loss show.

What kills me is we all put crazy $$$ in modding our vehicles and then cheap out on tires... IMHO that is like building a vehicle for high speed but paying little heed to braking... I would rather have spent $$ on good tires than repairs/injuries/rehab (nobody hurt except sore neck ](*,) ](*,)

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: tires

liberator said:
What kills me is we all put crazy $$$ in modding our vehicles and then cheap out on tires...

Agreed. BFG all the way!

BEST TRACTION EVER! Even beats Super Traction XLR2000

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah yes, I am a BFG fanboy as well! I love 'em. I put them on all my vehicles...eventually. \:D/

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience a few weeks ago in my KJ. While making a left in the rain, the damn thing snapped loose and went all the way around with no warning. Now had it just been me in the car with no other cars around, it may have been entertaining. But I was in heavy traffic with the wife and kiddos in the car, which was no fun at all. I just bought the Jeep a few months ago and it still has the stock, well worn '03 Goodyears. I went by the local Sams club tonight, and they have BFG All Terrain TA/KO's for 150 each, 235/70-16's. I know these are great for off road, but any thoughts as to their street manners (noise, etc?). Has anyone use this tire with the stock size, and no lift?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was desperate because there weren't really any tires for 17" that performed well on both pavement and off-road.

for 17" check these topics:
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12971
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11496

My concern was that if the tires have too deep thread, don't they take turns and corners well on the street? I mean if we take the curve too fast, is it really true that offroad tires will cause you to get off-course? I don't think flat street tires looked well on jeeps.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
jelohead said:
the dueler A/T revos are very good on the highway, i love em

These are nice tires!! You can't go wrong. Had these on two vehicles so far. Awesome snow and water performance. My dad actually had these installed on his truck and has been really happy with them as well.

Btw if you go through tire rack support the forum and click the link in my signature to give a little kick back to the site from using Tire Rack.

Bennett

Latest posts

Members online