Good news for those considering a HAM license

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FCC is doing away with the morse code requirement! The code is dead, long live the code!!!

ARLB030 FCC to Drop Morse Testing for All Amateur License Classes
In an historic move, the FCC has acted to drop the Morse code
requirement for all Amateur Radio license classes. The Commission
today adopted a Report and Order (R&O) in WT Docket 05-235. In a
break from typical practice, the FCC only issued a public notice at
or about the close of business and not the actual Report and Order,
so some details -- including the effective date of the R&O --
remain uncertain.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timmer said:
You've been able to get a no-code license for almost 20 years now.
Actually more like 25 for the no-code tech. But you've had to pass the 5wpm test to get HF privileges. What the FCC is doing is eliminating the code requirement completely for all license classes, so as it stands current Tech license holders will have access to the same freqs as Tech Plus, and all you have to do to upgrade to General or Extra is take a written test. Only makes sense with the current state of technology in amateur radio these days.

indyliberty

Reaction score
FINALLY!!

I've been licensed for about 12 years now and the stupid code requirements have always made me lose interest in HF privileges. It will be nice to have some more bandwidth.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm Tech-no-code, and morse code was what had kept me from upgrading back in the day. Not for lack of trying. But in reality, I've not been an active ham in some years, tho my licensce is still valid.... just looked it up.... valid thru 2013. Even has my current address. Go me.

-Blu

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KC0FWD

Haven't been active in quite a while, been thinking about getting back into it though. We'll see. The no code requirement is a definate bonus. :)

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been a no-code Tech since 1997. Up until this time last year I worked at Ten-Tec, one of, if not the only U.S. ham radio manufacturer. Working on those HF rigs every day got me wanting to upgrade. Now I think I will, just need to study up a little.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge Ten Tec is the ONLY US manufacturer of Amateur Radio equipment. Having worked there I'd think you won't have much trouble with the tests to upgrade...

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I have wanted to get into ham for some time, my father in law had been into it for YEARS. I need to get back to studying and get my license.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
can anyone explain the draw to ham radio?
Well, for me part of it was the 'nerd' factor, puttering around with electronics and stuff. Then when I finally got serious about it I was drawn to the fact that I could turn on a radio, tune around the bands, pick up a microphone and talk to someone halfway around the world. Of course, this was back before cell phones, the internet, VOIP and all of that. I still get a kick out of driving down the highway and talking to someone in Japan or the South Pacific on a radio that puts out the same amount of power you'd need to light a couple of bulbs in your home (biggrin) Plus being able to get help if needed in places where cell phones won't reach, which there are quite a few of still out here in the west...