Glow Plug Mod/Recall/Whatever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard word of this about 4 weeks ago, and already been discussed over on LOST....

Basically, Chrysler will no longer stock the original 7 volt ceramic glow plugs that came in our U.S. version 05/06 CRD's.

From now on, if you go to the dealer with a bad glow plug, you'll have to pop for four new 5 volt metal glow plugs, a new glow plug controller, and a ECM reflash to get it all to work. One gent on LOST has already ran into this situation - for parts and reflash he was quoted around $300. And told he'd have to wait until the end of December, when the new glow plugs became available.

Bosch website doesn't even list them any more. And the export version of the CRD's used an 11 volt metal glow plug - so no luck trying Euro websites.

2 weeks ago, found a couple U.S. parts websites that still had the 7 volt ceramics in stock, and got ahold of two spare sets for mine. If anyone wants to order a spare set, send me a PM and I'll let you know which sites they were. If you want to search on your own, use the glow plug Bosch P/N, 80041.

Reason I'm not posting the websites publicly - I've already seen a couple dealerships that still had a few of these in stock jack their prices up to nearly 4 times the going rate - one CJD dealer in NC asking $128 EACH, for what should be a $35 glow plug. I'm just trying to make it a little harder for the jackals that are out there to scoop up what's left and then scalp everyone else.

Recommend searching using the Bosch P/N. On one website that DID have the plugs in stock, they showed nothing when I searched by "2005 Jeep Liberty". But when I searched by the Bosch P/N, they popped right up, with a note "no vehicle application listed". Probably the reason they still had any left.