Giving this Jeep thing a try! Newbie Questions! *Pic Heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subie_Reid

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to try and make this short and sweet but I know it won't go that way. First, I'll introduce myself then at the end I have a few Jeep KJ questions I can hopefully get answered. I'm Reid, an engineering student from Pittsburgh! Recently, I became the second owner of a beautiful 2002 Woodland Brown Satin Glow Jeep Liberty Sport at 144k-ish miles. So far, I'm very happy!

You must be registered for see images attach

I was in the market for a second, easy to maintain vehicle. I was mostly worried about low cost to own so I started looking for high mileage Subarus. Everything was beat up.. I never thought to look at Jeeps, but found this Liberty. High miles but super clean. No frame or under body rust. Low rust on the bottom, inside of the doors. I noticed the Carfax had every service record from 72 miles at the dealership. Long story short, I fell in love at first sight. I was not looking for a Jeep but I'm glad I bought one. The Liberty will be used primarily for winter daily driving and some weekend fun. Mods will be mild and otherwise stock looking (at least I plan lol). So far just cleared front turn signals.

My other, less than practical, vehicle is a 2011 Satin White Pearl Subaru WRX Limited. I do a lot of blogging for the WRX on NASIOC, here or Reid's 2011 Satin White Pearl WRX Limited - NASIOC. Full mod list is there along with many pictures, how-tos, and part reviews.

Other interests include, automotive photography. Cars have always been a passion of mine! I've been blessed to work with some very fun cars.

You must be registered for see images

So, now on to the Jeep questions. As with the Subaru, I will be doing all the maintenance and mods myself. I know the Subaru is very picky with oil, and this causes me to send samples in for Black Stone testing. What are some of the proven motor oils around the KJ community? Keep in mind the motor has about 145k miles on it.

What led me to this forum originally was my search for recommended radiators. I'm so used to buying aftermarket parts due to their increased strength and lighter weight but it seems that the consensus around here would be the OEM Mopar unit. Does anyone have experience with any aftermarket rads or would the OEM unit be the best bet?

Lastly, the Liberty has been great so far. But today I experienced my first problem (made me register here lol). I parked the Liberty on the steep part of my driveway, facing forward (headlights up the driveway). After about 45 minutes, I went to start the Liberty and immediately after starting it would stall. I tried again. Same thing. Eventually, I started it, gave it some throttle to keep it from stalling and pulled it up the driveway (now to a flat part). There was at least 1/4 tank and even on the flat spot wouldn't stay running. I called it quits and walked away. 2 hours later I tried again and boom, works beautifully. Drives great. No loss of power accessories. No hesitating. I'm questioning what that might be. I cleaned the battery terminals for the hell of it and tested the voltage. Everything was fine. Is there some quirky design to the KJ fuel cells/pump that causes them to struggle with lower than x amount of fuel in the tank?

Looking forward to learning more about KJs!
-Reid

firewall

Reaction score
I can't see the pics do edit them please... Welcome by the way.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the pictures using my iphone and to your questions i am a noob i have the stock radiator and for oil i use 10w30 in the summer castrol high mileage im at 156k and 5w30 in the winter i run 10 weight because these jeeps are known to consume a little oil once they get up there in miles so keep and eye on it

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I would stick with 5w-30 and whatever oil you want (synth or dino) and a good filter unless you are burning oil/have other issues. For aftermarket rads there have been a few who have done it and been OK but the general consensus is OEM only. This is due to the fact the side plastic can be an issue on aftermarket.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some awesome pics! Welcome to the forum!Love the white on sports/performance cars!

Nothing overly special about the oil. I run 10-30 summer and 5-30 in the winter, castrol GTX regular, but you must change the 10-30 for the 5-30 out when the temperature gets colder. Most folks will just stick with the 5-30 all year round. And I'm sure other brands are fine, of course. As far as the fuel starvation question, I do not know, but someone will have an opinion, there are a few mechanics on the forum. OEM vs. aftermarket, to me it varies. I have tons of aftermarket stuff on all my vehicles, including the Liberty(radiator fan, suspension,to name a couple) but have come to learn (where the Liberty is involved) that for electrical components such as sensors, relays, etc. that OEM is good/better. Of course it's all about doing research on what you are looking for. everybody, AND I MEAN EVERYONE, me included, has their opinions. You seem smart(yes I can tell by the way you post, I still could be wrong though), but you just got to make the best educated decision you can make. Everything is still a crap shoot, whether OEM or aftermarket, new or used,foreign or domestic, you get the point.

Again, Welcome to the forum!

Bert

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 144k miles myself I'm using 10w-40 Mobile 1 high mileage because I'm burning a bit. Seems to be holding it off nicely though! Maybe 1 quart/2-3k miles now.

That WRX is pretty. There have been a number of them that came up around here that I've been itching to trade the Jeep for... :D Also I really like your photography. Awesome shots!

Not sure about your problem. Perhaps post it in the general section to get a little bit more attention.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and nice Jeep. (nice cars too)

As to the oil, I use 5w30 as preferred in the owners manual. Use whatever your favorite brand is.

About that starting problem, hopefully it was a one time glitch if it was real low on gas or something?

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to a " JEEP KJ " site
use 5-30 full syn oil only
216,000 miles an no issues using it no use to use 10-40 etc

Subie_Reid

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! I'll order an OEM radiator and just hope the starting problem was a one time hi-cup.

Since I'll be doing the majority of my Jeep miles in the winter, I'll run the 5w-30. Any brands to steer clear of or just pick any? I'm so used to the picky flat motor from the Subaru lol

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Na anything you like some people love castrol some love royal purple best oil you can use is oil you change regularly once it starts getting dark change it and use a good filter alot of guys say the wix filter is the best i have been trying out the k&n oil filter with a nut on the back for easy removal and installation

Latest posts

Members online