getting stuff off a parts car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a few kj's close to that are being parted out. Havent seen them yet, but I'm thinking about getting the rear cargo shade and possibly a front driveshaft(if it's in good condition). Anyone ever buy a used front driveshaft off a parts car as a spare or replacement? I was told under $50 for the DS and $20 for the roll up cargo shade

Any suggestions for cheaper stuff to pull off of it for spares?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driveshaft is easy enough to check for play/looseness, and that price is a steal.

I've always been all for used parts that aren't "consumables" to start with. Doors, hoods, grilles, etc, good. Water pumps, struts, brake parts, etc bad. An extra set of wheels for winter tires, off road meets, etc would be a good investment should you plan to go that way.

Bob

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....window regulators.....(or would those fall into the 'consumable' category (at the rate they fail in the Liberty?

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage yard strategy

I always go for parts to improve my Jeep. I replace trim pieces that are worn or scratched. The rear cargo panels and carpet were badly worn on my Libby so replaced them with good ones. Found a perfect leather steering wheel to replace my badly worn one. I also buy parts that will wear in the future such as door seals and rubber drip rails ($3.60 each at my yard) and store them for future use. Sometimes even wear items are a good deal such as remanufactured parts just installed before the Jeep hit the salvage yard. Alternators, starters, even brake parts may fall into this category. The best advice is to use your own good judgment as you can pay pennies on the dollar for parts. For example, I bought an OEM rear upper control arm in like new condition from a low mileage Libby for $20 that costs $480 from the dealer. Don't need it yet but bought for insurance. If I never use it can sell for more than I paid. I buy high cost parts that tend to fail anytime I can pay less than ten cents on the dollar, but then I am a bit of a pack rat. On other cars however, selling used parts have gone a long way offsetting the cost of owning the car. (eBay them) I view going to the salvage yard as affordable entertainment. Sick I guess....

On front drive shafts, I have looked at quite a few at my salvage yard but every one had a failed rear u-joint seal and thus worn u-joint from dirt. I have not found a source for the rear u-joint seal so have to replace the entire u-joint to get a new seal.

Last edited:

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage yard sickness

I view going to the salvage yard as affordable entertainment. Sick I guess...

I think we both have the same salvage yard sickness. Every time I go to one I HAVE to look around for stuff I don't need, yet may come in handy or maybe something I can make a few bucks on. Case-in-point: Last time I went to the salvage yard I saw a newer style Monte Carlo SS, 2004....2005...something like that.

I opened the door and it would not swing all the way open, upon further inspection of the door I noticed it had aftermarket hinges on it that made the doors swing upwards like a Lamborghini door. Not really my style, but I know the hinges are a big custom thing for some people. So anyhow, I wrote down the manufacturers name (it was stamped on the hinges). The company that manufacturers the hinges is an American company named "Vertical Lift Doors Inc".

So I snoop around thier website and it turns out the hinges cost $1,200 and (supposedly are the best ones available). I put them up for sale on Craigslist with a "Make Offer" statement......some guy calls the next day, says he'll take them for half the price of new. I told him that would be a cost of $600, he said he knows....his brother has the same hinges on another Monte Carlo.

So the next day I drive over to the salvage yard...remove the hinges. These hinges look like some kind of monstrosity that an iron worker would build for some sort of Draw Bridge component. They're massive. I get to the cashier and I tell him the parts are door hinges. He rings me up a total price of $21.

ChaChing

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haver a buddy that works at a scrapper here... i have 2 parts liberties in my yard aswell .. but he called me last week and had a libby come in with a RL bumper ... got it for 50 bucks.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...window regulators...
Even if worn, if the price was low that would be a worthwhile idea. :)

...I replace trim pieces that are worn or scratched. The rear cargo panels and carpet were badly worn on my Libby so replaced them with good ones...
Great idea. Plus, if you ever get the bug to do extensive interior modifications like for a custom stereo speaker install you could get creative without risking paying a fortune if you goof. I just installed four speakers and wanted to mount the rear tweeters high up in the plastic trim on the C-Pillar. I chickened out and put them in the rear doors because I was afraid I would mess it up and ruin the trim piece back there.

I haver a buddy that works at a scrapper here... i have 2 parts liberties in my yard aswell .. but he called me last week and had a libby come in with a RL bumper ... got it for 50 bucks.
They should have your picture up down at the Post Office - that is highway robbery! :happy175:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You're killing me - but props to you for getting it before the recycler does.

I've been thinking of driving up to Canada to offer some expensive American dollars to a certain someone with an RL bumper - if you know what I mean :party52:

Bob

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of Libertys...

Was at my favorite salvage yard 2 days ago and they had put 4 additional libbys on the yard the previous day. Good pickings. They now have over 20 on the yard. Lots of libbys on the roads in metro Atlanta and the '02's - '05's are hitting the salvage yards. People in our area give up on vehicles with a bad engine or transmission. At u pull yards, parts are good buys, usually less than 10 cents on the dollar for oem parts.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Six salvage yards within a 20 mile radius of my house. As of last week there was a grand total of two Liberty's available. They get picked apart fairly quickly. I was lucky enough to pull the Renegade oem spotlight assembly. Incidentaly, the Renegade had every window busted out of it. Who the hell busts windows in a Jeep? (My window has a small 'bullseye' crack in it!!!!).

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no idea renegade had a spotlight option! I'd love to see some. Pictures

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....I'm sorry.....I meant to say 'overhead light bar'.....not spot light.

Although, my local postal office has a few 4x4 right hand drive Jeeps with spot lights.....can get some pictures of the RHD's, but may have to wait for inclement weather as the Liberty's and Wranglers are only used during rainy, muddy, snowy weather.

Last edited: