Getting redy to tow-adding HD cooling-trying to read trans temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobd254

Reaction score
2004 KJ3.7
I was able to pick up the mechanical fan blade at a junk yard, but couldnt find a shroud.
Is there a part number for this ?
does the old electric fan , get attached to the new shroud?
I use the torque app to read the transm temp on my Chevy van, but I havent been able to get it to work on the KJ.
there are several Jeep pids that I tried, and when I saw them starting to register on the app I thought I had it solved, but one of them was reading -50 and the other was reading 600.. Has anyone had had any success usng Torque for Transm temp, or should I try a better way?
Thanks,
bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2004's came with the bigger shroud, even without HD cooling, but my stock electric fan works perfect with the mechanical fan. Its possible the electric fan was different with the 2004's so I cant say if your electric fan will work with the HD shroud.

You can get the HD shrouds on ebay and amazon.

Bobd254

Reaction score
ThI believe this thread has some good info. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/hd-cooling-setup.53731/
Also the part's fiche should have the part# /heavy duty cooling package/ fan shroud. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/04kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf
Hopefully someone can help re trans Torque AP.
One thing I can tell you is that I use to get a Trans Temp light on, & that got completely solved after installing a larger 42RLE -Machined aluminum PML transmission pan.

Thanks for the link /parts fiche- I ordered the shroud.
With the PML transm pan, do you need a different filter due to increased depth, I'm guessing with more fluid the level comes up to the filter .

Bobd254

Reaction score
The 2004's came with the bigger shroud, even without HD cooling, but my stock electric fan works perfect with the mechanical fan. Its possible the electric fan was different with the 2004's so I cant say if your electric fan will work with the HD shroud.

You can get the HD shrouds on ebay and amazon.
I hadn't really looked at the fan closely , but looking at it now, it seems that the HD shroud will just flt up against the engine side of the current fan/fan holder assembly

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• PML Trans Pan 2011.jpg
    PML Trans Pan 2011.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 10

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also in my installation, no high temp rtv was used. Introducing the LubLocker 42 RLE gasket, no leaks since. :)

Attachments

• LubeLocker 42RLE Specs.jpg
    LubeLocker 42RLE Specs.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 9

Bobd254

Reaction score
Also in my installation, no high temp rtv was used. Introducing the LubLocker 42 RLE gasket, no lI eaks since. :)
I just changed the fluid and filter , but maybe next year I'll go for the PLM pan and skip using the RTV!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn't really looked at the fan closely , but looking at it now, it seems that the HD shroud will just flt up against the engine side of the current fan/fan holder assembly

No, you'll need to remove the current 'shroud' thats holding the fan. Things get tight with that bigger shroud.

And dang! wish I knew about the **** locker 42rle gasket! I just installed the PML pan at the end of summer. I drilled and tapped it for a temp sensor also. It certainly keeps it cooler!

You can use the filter as is with the PML pan. I measured the oil I drained out, the PML pan held the exact same on my 04.

Bobd254

Reaction score
No, you'll need to remove the current 'shroud' thats holding the fan. Things get tight with that bigger shroud.

And dang! wish I knew about the **** locker 42rle gasket! I just installed the PML pan at the end of summer. I drilled and tapped it for a temp sensor also. It certainly keeps it cooler!

You can use the filter as is with the PML pan. I measured the oil I drained out, the PML pan held the exact same on my 04.
Oh , OK, so take the fan off the original small shroud, and reattach it to the larger one . I'll think about splitting the new fan shroud to make mounting easier as noted by some earlier posts

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into Mag-Hytech pans. I put one on my dodge with a 68RFE. Has a hole drilled and tapped for a temp sensor, plus it comes with an o-ring instead of a gasket. I was told the 545RFE used the same pan an the 68s. But then maybe the 545 is only a diesel Liberty option as well.

Bobd254

Reaction score
OK, I got the HD shroud in the mail , I ordered a cooling fan to fit in the big shroud and recieved a 2 wire single speed fan. Of course my 04 had the 3 wire fan..... I'm thinking of attaching together the PCM wires that go to the low and high speed fan relays (maybe use diodes to prevent current going back to the PCM), and sending the signal to the low speed relay, connecting the low speed wire at the fan plug to the single speed fan. and possibly use the unused relay for fog/driving lights ....... What do you think?

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing the transmission radiator with an aftermarket one?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got the HD shroud in the mail , I ordered a cooling fan to fit in the big shroud and recieved a 2 wire single speed fan. Of course my 04 had the 3 wire fan..... I'm thinking of attaching together the PCM wires that go to the low and high speed fan relays (maybe use diodes to prevent current going back to the PCM), and sending the signal to the low speed relay, connecting the low speed wire at the fan plug to the single speed fan. and possibly use the unused relay for fog/driving lights ....... What do you think?

Have you checked to see if the original fan will fit the bigger shroud?

Does your 04 not already have the bigger shroud? I thought all 2004's came with the HD fan shroud(mine did). Do you have photos?

Bobd254

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the original fan will fit the bigger shroud?

Does your 04 not already have the bigger shroud? I thought all 2004's came with the HD fan shroud(mine did). Do you have photos?
Here's a pic. You knw , I just assumed that the current fan is part of the shroud,,,,... I guess I should have taken it apart first...before ordering the other fan!

Attachments

• PXL_20211122_222719817.jpg
    PXL_20211122_222719817.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 21

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You certianly dont have the HD shroud, thats interesting. Ive never seen an 04 with the smaller shroud. If the fan cannot be removed from that shroud, then of course it wont work with the HD shroud.

Bobd254

Reaction score
It was made early in 04, that might have made a difference.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My KJ was made in June 2004, I think it is a basic 2 speed also. (Canadian Export)

Attachments

• Fan Shroud Basic.jpg
    Fan Shroud Basic.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Members online