Gear oil when removed propeller shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the propeller shaft to replace the starter. When I pulled the front of the shaft out there was some gear oil behind it. Actually started to drip once I removed a couple of the bolts. Not a lot, maybe an ounce. Is this normal or does this mean I have a pinion seal leak?

The good news is the fluid looked new from the bottle condition - 4 wheel drive is rarely used, and when we do its 4 high.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, you do not have a leak or anything
There is always some the first time you remove the front driveshaft
And you should use 4 wheel drive more or someday may not be able to get it into even 4 high

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is normal, but check the level in the front differential and top up if necessary.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where I read this, but somewhere I remember reading something about applying RTV to the pinion splines to keep this from happening.

Mine also had a good bit of oil in it when I removed the driveshaft. Always wondered if that gives a false bad pinion seal...

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a 19 inch detroit axle new prop shaft to install that I picked up brand new off craigslist cheap when I first got the Liberty, before reading here about how to measure. Yup mine does not take a 19 so I plan to rebuild my rear cv (boot is going).

I will send it to anyone needing a 19 for the price of shipping -- with as much help as this forum has given me here I am in the positive $$$ so there is no need to make any money off it. I can get a part number but I now understand the key to to measure your shaft weld to weld.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Detroit Axle , lots of issues , but if anyone wants to try their parts good luck
Not trying to bomb your sale but just a warning

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem good to know. Not for sale, for free -- just cover shipping. Alternative is Good Will donation.

Ronald

Reaction score
I pulled the propeller shaft to replace the starter. When I pulled the front of the shaft out there was some gear oil behind it. Actually started to drip once I removed a couple of the bolts. Not a lot, maybe an ounce. Is this normal or does this mean I have a pinion seal leak?

The good news is the fluid looked new from the bottle condition - 4 wheel drive is rarely used, and when we do its 4 high.
Forget About it , no harm done . I replaced all the oil in mine once for nothing.