Gauges & Instrument Cluster Lights Do Not Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deboy922

Reaction score
2003 Jeep KJ has been running good and is my daily driver. No work has recently been done on the Jeep.

This morning, I started the Jeep in the garage, and none of the gauges are working, and there are no lights on the instrument cluster when I turn on the headlights. Everything on the instrument cluster looks dead. The odometer is the only thing lit, but it does not increment any mileage as you drive. The radio is lit and works fine.

I tuned off the Jeep and restarted it, and the instrument cluster was still dead. I drove the Jeep 30 minutes into work. The headlights work. I used 4wd. Interior overhead lights work. Everything seemed OK, but the gauges and instrument cluster lights do not work.

Tonight, when I get home, I will disconnect and reconnect the battery (battery is 2 years old).

Please advise on what else I can check/do:
- Do the cluster diagnostic check - hold odometer/trip button & turn key on.
- Check fuses #9, #13, & #34.
- Check grounds.

Thank you!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an OBD2 scanner see if there are any codes.
Next, I'd try checking fuse #34 to start out with. It's tied into the BCM & cluster lights.
If #34 is good, then do a full re-set by taking both battery terminals off & tape them together for 30 minutes.
Make sure they cant make contact with the battery while doing this.

deboy922

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply @LibertyTC ...much appreciated.

Yesterday after work, the Jeep started up fine, but again the gauges and lights did not work on the instrument cluster. I stopped for gas and drove 30 minutes home.

I unhooked the negative battery terminal and left it off for about 1 hour. Reconnected the battery; started the jeep; and all gauges and lights are now working!

There is no corrosion on the battery terminals. I visually checked some of the grounds and wiring from the battery, and did not see any issues.

Drove into work this morning with everything working normal. Fingers crossed...time will tell??? We have about 8 inches of snow on the ground with snow and wind forecasted over the next week. This is when the Jeep earns its keep...hope she holds up.

Latest posts

Members online