Gas Tank Skid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I have to do the same thing but first I need to get a TSB done to fix a filter problem in the ******. If I put the skid on first they charge an extra $30 to take it off and put it back on unless factory installed.

Someone said to drop the hitch, lift the gas tank skid into place with a floor jack, then lift the hitch and hold it in place with a bottle jack. That's what I am planning.

And yes ptsb5a the installation instructions do show you how it installs really well. Good instructions for a change. Did yours come bent?

PS: Dave, I hadn't actually taken mine out of the box yet. I just did and you are correct, it was not marred. I still don't think it should be like that but it must have something to do with the manufacturing process. I will have to take some pictures of it to post.

The ****** plate was changed recently and now works with the CRD and aint it sweet. Much stronger built than the others. It would be interesting to compare a new one and an old one.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cowcatcher......................I installed the gas tank skid and it was easy. I got my son to help. It was easy with someone holding on to the other end.

1) Disconnect the trailer wireing harness. I took the 4 screws out of the bracket and then you can see the snap in connector that locks the wireing plug into the connector)

2) Take off the hitch.

3) Put up the skid and then the hitch on top and start the bolts. I did one side while my son did the other. Torque bolts to 55-70 lbs per directions and re-hook the wireing harness. (it plugs in ) - - you're done - - It's Michelob time...............

The trailer hitch seemed a lot heavier than the skid!!!!

Oh..........that bend in the skid that looks funny fits perfectly. The fuel tank was shaped that way on mine (3.7liter) Yours is the CRD but probably the same tank. I'm curious. Let me know.

In your post you indicated that the dealer would charge an extra $30 to remove and replace a skid if it was not factory installed??? I wonder why??

I'm armored now.

Thinking about a powertrax and tow hooks. Just a matter of time and $$

Dave

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,

There have been some transmission issues with filters on the CRD and other DC products with the same transmission in certain build dates. To change the filters you need to drop the pan. If there is a skid there that was not there when the CRD shipped there is an additional $30 charge to remove it and re-install it.