gas mileage??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwistedJimmy

Reaction score
i recently bought a 2006 liberty and im only ranging 11.9-12.7 city is this normal?? highway most i've seen is 14.8 mpg. i dont get it, it has 30,000 miles and drives fine??

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming 4wd, right? Even if it is, that still doesn't sound right to me...especially since it's not lifted with bigger tires or anything (I saw your pics earlier). I know ours is 2wd, but in city we average 17-18 mpg and hwy around 22-24. 4wd shouldn't make THAT much of a difference....anybody else?

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine ***** too but it is heavy and the ARB and winch are about as aerodynamic as a BRICK, like you i get 12 to 14 city and i jump for joy when once in a blue moon i average 18 on the hwy (usually downhill and at 65).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
30k? Time for a tune up. The 3.7L and 4.7L (V8) burn through spark plugs like a H2 drinks gas, lol. That could be part of the issue.

TwistedJimmy

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys . im gonna have a full tuneup done at the dealership and diagnose anything else on it too. also that is with the truck in 2wd all time i only use the full time in wet weather. Also what is the difference between the part time 4wd and full time? when engaged in part time i feel the steering binding a little bit when makin ga u turn so i never used that again. but in full time its ok. does it look the front axles or something like posi in part time?

t_bois

Reaction score
You shouldn't be using the 4WD on a paved road even if it's wet. Part Time
4WD is what it may say on the dash, but unless you have the transfer case that allows you to select between 2WD, All Wheel Drive, 4WD, 4WD low, you're really in 4WD HI. That's why the steering seems to bind.

Read this post:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34195

Which transmission do you have and do you have a Sport or Limited model?

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First the MPG
I would guess some thing is wrong ,probably tune up
how wide and what it the rating on the tires you are running?
this will make a diff.
good example
our '03 Limited 4X4 came with 235/70R16 Goodyear Eagle RTS ,car tires
we switched to 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler ATS's and and MPG averages went up 2-3 per gallon ,now the ATS was skinnier but taller
how ever it was designed to hold the KJ with some weight to spare unlike the RTS so this could be part of your problem
check you tire pressure it should be at least what is stamped in the door
+/- 2 psi
we now have a lift and Goodyear Wrangler MTR's 245/75R16 and still get
~15 city and 18-20 hwy

as to the 4wd mode you should only be using 4wd Full Time
Full Time = any time
part time = some time
low = not really an issue for you as your rim and tire combo will not allow you to go where low would be needed
Just Kidding

Hope this helps

TwistedJimmy

Reaction score
hehe thank i scheduled a dealer service for wednesday, gonna have them change the plugs since i just hit 30,000 miles. thanks for the help guys! i will let you know what happens when i get it back