fuel rail leak need help asap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rapom

Reaction score
03 3.7 liby. My fuel rail is leaking at the union right by the oil filler. It's where the stainless crossover pipe connects to the black pipe with injectors. It's that mushroom looking union that it's leaking from. Looks like it's just folded over steel that holds the 2 together and is not normally something that is serviceable. But im assuming there is an o ring in there... the rail is over $300 us Dollars for the part and $350 extra replaced can I un bend all thoes fingers and replace an o ring? Please help. No one stocks the rail either... and rather not use a junk yard rail (this one already is..... long story) please help!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A leaking fuel rail is bad news. I would think the best corrective measure would be replacing it.
Some photos in post are really helpful though.
Not really heard of too many problems with the fuel rails.
Did someone damage it in removal or something?

rapom

Reaction score
Possibly damaged in removal. The engine has been replaced with a junk junk yard unit that ran 1 month out of its 90 day warranty. Then I had the same shop install another engine. This time it's a brand new long block. They had to swap all parts over. About a month ago I noticed it leaking. I had it towed to them on their dime. They said no leaks found. I got it back and it was not leaking.... wtf.. so no 2 weeks later it's dripping. I took a vid but I'm guessing I can't upload it here. Nope no mp4.. Everytime we take it back it ends up either being covered in paint over spray. Covered in body sanding dust or inside full of dirt and smelling like cigs. And takes them forever... just be eaiser to diy...

rapom

Reaction score
So I took the union apart today on the fuel rail I found 2 o rings and 3 plastic spacers. One of the o rings was way to big to be in there.. or it swelled. Which I hope isn't the case... but I ended up tossing both o rings and replaced them with green a/c o rings. Only ones I could find that would fit. I used 2 o rings to make the seal with a plastic spacer between. Had to nice snaps as I pressed the rail back together. Perfect seal. No leaks.! My only concern... will the green ac o rings hold up.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O-rings for 134A systems can come in different colors, and are an HNBR material (Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber). HNBR also has a very good resistance to fuels and oils.