Fuel quantity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
21.27 gal. of gas in a 20.5 gal tank??? That's just not possible. Something isn't right. That's why gas is so cheep there. They are charging you for gas you didn't get. This happens.

2.95 was not cheap back when I took that picture. That was when gas started to rise this summer.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Marlon_JBT said:
jfortier777 said:
Dave said:
21.27 gal. of gas in a 20.5 gal tank??? That's just not possible. Something isn't right. That's why gas is so cheep there. They are charging you for gas you didn't get. This happens.

Lol, highly unlikely.
I'd have to agree with him. Gas stations pull really dirty tricks. If you don't believe it, well.... that's just up to you.

LOL, I don't because of the fact that I was out of fuel, completely, I dont see any suprise in .7 gallons of additional fuel over the listed tank size.

Not to mention whatever fuel burned off while I was pumping since it took like 10 minutes.

Do you let your jeep run while you pump? :-s

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

Yep. No reason to shut it off, especially in the hot summer or cold winter, otherwise you have to warm/cool it up/down again.

There is no danger involved with pumping fuel while the vehicle is running.

I challenge anyone to point out anything unsafe. (stupidity of general populous should not be considered a factor; IE: a man spraying gas onto a running engine should be excluded.)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:

Yep. No reason to shut it off, especially in the hot summer or cold winter, otherwise you have to warm/cool it up/down again.

There is no danger involved with pumping fuel while the vehicle is running.

I challenge anyone to point out anything unsafe. (stupidity of general populous should not be considered a factor; IE: a man spraying gas onto a running engine should be excluded.)

While your vehicle is running you have a hot exhaust system running below the car, an engine compartment that is currently generating electricity along with spark plugs (aka "electricity"). With that in mind you do realize that gasoline does not begin to "catch fire" rather its the vapors that ignite. Also, you do realize that gas is heavier than air and will inevitably escape towards the ground (below the Jeep). Below the Jeep? What did I mention was going on under there? Oh yea, spark plugs and sensors along with an engine system that generates lots of electrical current. These along with gas vapors can be a wonderful combination to start a fire.

Now you also have to realize that the vehicle is in a positive charged state while turned on. So when you exit your car in dry or cold weather, you could seriously cause some sort of spark because you were part of the positivley charged vehicle (your have a positive charge). Any friction with external material in the dry or cold weather can be a great combination for static electricity. Again, something easy that can generate enough spark to ignite fumes. However, I have to believe that we ground ourselves the minute we touch the gas nozzle. On the other hand the car is still running (positive state) so we now could easily fall prey to static discharge while pumping.

With todays gas stations they use vapor recovery systems that generally remove the possibility of vapor escaping while pumping. But, we all do spill gas or slowly remove the gas nozzle from our tanks (opening the gas tank to release fumes).

Even with what I said though the chances of this happening are extremeley small. But, it could happen!! I don't want to be that statistic of .00000002343% occurance.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
While your vehicle is running you have a hot exhaust system running below the car, an engine compartment that is currently generating electricity along with spark plugs (aka "electricity"). With that in mind you do realize that gasoline does not begin to "catch fire" rather its the vapors that ignite. Also, you do realize that gas is heavier than air and will inevitably escape towards the ground (below the Jeep). Below the Jeep? What did I mention was going on under there? Oh yea, spark plugs and sensors along with an engine system that generates lots of electrical current. These along with gas vapors can be a wonderful combination to start a fire.

Now you also have to realize that the vehicle is in a positive charged state while turned on. So when you exit your car in dry or cold weather, you could seriously cause some sort of spark because you were part of the positivley charged vehicle (your have a positive charge). Any friction with external material in the dry or cold weather can be a great combination for static electricity. Again, something easy that can generate enough spark to ignite fumes. However, I have to believe that we ground ourselves the minute we touch the gas nozzle. On the other hand the car is still running (positive state) so we now could easily fall prey to static discharge while pumping.

With todays gas stations they use vapor recovery systems that generally remove the possibility of vapor escaping while pumping. But, we all do spill gas or slowly remove the gas nozzle from our tanks (opening the gas tank to release fumes).

Even with what I said though the chances of this happening are extremeley small. But, it could happen!! I don't want to be that statistic of .00000002343% occurance.

The only way to prevent any of those risks is for people to turn off the vehicle in the street and push it in to fill up and push it out of the lot to start back up.

Because for every car there is turned off and filling up there is one running and pulling in or going out.
You pose equal risk just pulling into the lot. Also, spark plugs are sealed off completely and your exhaust system is hot as F for like 5-10 minutes even after your vehicle is off; though hotter while running the risk remains regardless.

The static issue has nothing to do with a running vehicle and everything to do with general stupidity. (Remember that even though the vehicle may not be on it is still actively powering numerous portions of the vehicle, and retains the same charge while on or off. Though static charge may be built up more easily while its running due to other reasons, it is still common knowledge to discharge yourself before pumping gas.)

Also, generating electricity does not pose any risks in itself, though sparks may be a different matter. I don't believe there has EVER been a case of an alternator starting a gas station fire. Or any gasoline related fire for that matter. Even more, in order to ignite gas fumes with a spark you need an exact concentration of vapor/air, not to mention an exact concetration leading back to the fluid source. This is nearly impossible and the odds are even lower because of the engine fan circulating so much air through the engine compartment.

But the most important rebuttle I can make is that if a running vehicle was not safe on the grounds, you just wouldn't be allowed to drive in, let alone wait in line with the vehicle running.

I agree that any of those things you have said are potential risks, but none of which have anything to do with your vehicle running, hell if someone pulled up on the other side of your pump, their engine would be closer to you than yours, and I don't expect you would go running away at that.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
MoladoGuy said:

The only way to prevent any of those risks is for people to turn off the vehicle in the street and push it in to fill up and push it out of the lot to start back up.

Because for every car there is turned off and filling up there is one running and pulling in or going out.
You pose equal risk just pulling into the lot. Also, spark plugs are sealed off completely and your exhaust system is hot as F for like 5-10 minutes even after your vehicle is off; though hotter while running the risk remains regardless.

The static issue has nothing to do with a running vehicle and everything to do with general stupidity. (Remember that even though the vehicle may not be on it is still actively powering numerous portions of the vehicle, and retains the same charge while on or off. Though static charge may be built up more easily while its running due to other reasons, it is still common knowledge to discharge yourself before pumping gas.)

Also, generating electricity does not pose any risks in itself, though sparks may be a different matter. I don't believe there has EVER been a case of an alternator starting a gas station fire. Or any gasoline related fire for that matter. Even more, in order to ignite gas fumes with a spark you need an exact concentration of vapor/air, not to mention an exact concetration leading back to the fluid source. This is nearly impossible and the odds are even lower because of the engine fan circulating so much air through the engine compartment.

But the most important rebuttle I can make is that if a running vehicle was not safe on the grounds, you just wouldn't be allowed to drive in, let alone wait in line with the vehicle running.

I agree that any of those things you have said are potential risks, but none of which have anything to do with your vehicle running, hell if someone pulled up on the other side of your pump, their engine would be closer to you than yours, and I don't expect you would go running away at that.

To discharge yourself from the energy built up inside, simply touch any metal part of the vehicle before you even swipe your card at the pump...and generally if you close your door when you get out, you will get shocked and this will eliminate the charge built up on you....just to be safe i usually touch the door again just to make sure there is absolutely no charge on me what so ever.

To me, running the engine while you're pumping gas is not smart....especially based on the reason that you donw want to have to heat up/cool down the compartment again....how long does it normally take you to fill up? Takes me about 5 minutes at max....you're really not going to lose that much heat/ac inside the cabin in that shrot 5 minute time period.

Why don't you just go ahead and break the other two rules while you're at it...whip out that cell phone and light a cancer stick at the same time you're pumping gas.

I'd much rather shut my engine off than risk blowing up the entire damn gas station as well as destroying my Jeep....it may be a small risk, but it's still a risk i'm not willing to take.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
jfortier777 said:
MoladoGuy said:

To discharge yourself from the energy built up inside, simply touch any metal part of the vehicle before you even swipe your card at the pump...and generally if you close your door when you get out, you will get shocked and this will eliminate the charge built up on you....just to be safe i usually touch the door again just to make sure there is absolutely no charge on me what so ever.

To me, running the engine while you're pumping gas is not smart....especially based on the reason that you donw want to have to heat up/cool down the compartment again....how long does it normally take you to fill up? Takes me about 5 minutes at max....you're really not going to lose that much heat/ac inside the cabin in that shrot 5 minute time period.

Why don't you just go ahead and break the other two rules while you're at it...whip out that cell phone and light a cancer stick at the same time you're pumping gas.

I'd much rather shut my engine off than risk blowing up the entire damn gas station as well as destroying my Jeep....it may be a small risk, but it's still a risk i'm not willing to take.

Good idea, Tim. When I see a person doing *any* of that... or all 3 (yup...) I just leave.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Ive drove 20 miles after the evic said 0 miles till empty and got 17gal in it. You will make it just fine. 8-[

sorry.. I caved.

Cold sweat was running on my forehead after driving about 3 miles at 0 m2e.

I started with 13 miles to empty at JFK airport, and took local with a lot of lights, thinking of the consequences.. I got to 0 m2e at about 15th mile. It was pretty accurate, since i was running 20 miles over my regular tank mileage (240 in this case, normally 210 to 220), so I was thinking it used up the reserve as well.. Here is the story, click on them.

You must be registered for see images

I kept filling the tank, boy was I wrong.. there was till gas in the reserve:

This is at pump-autostop.

Finally ahhh..

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with the cell phone use at the pump being dangerous.
Leaving the car running while you fill up just doesn't seem like a great idea espically since most cars now bitch at you if the gas cap is off or loose.
Smoking at the pump is just down right stupid to me, why not use that lighter to see how much fuel is left in that tank before you fill up...

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:

The cell phone myth has been long since disproved and smoking at the pump is proven to be dangerous but still has nothing to do with running your vehicle, you assume that risks are there, that are not, and are afraid because of that.

You say a small risk, but that risk is all but non-existant. Everytime you get in your jeep and turn the key you run the risk of the vehicle exploding, even though the chances are 1 in 10^42 power the chance is still there. Being afraid of infinitesimal probabilities is just unnecessary, shoot you wouldn't even be able to survive if you hid from everything with equal odds. The fact is that a running engine has never been the cause of any incident at a gas station.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
does it really take THAT much MORE effort to turn the key forwards and backwards?

i mean..it does take less than a 30 seconds to turn on or off the thing....

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
does it really take THAT much MORE effort to turn the key forwards and backwards?

i mean..it does take less than a 30 seconds to turn on or off the thing....

If other matters have no bearing on the action, than personal preference overrules every time.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will NEVER let my jeep run while pumping the gas. Any kind of short in a coil could cause a spart and it doesnt need to be right by the coil. Any wires coming to the back of the jeep could be shorted out blowing you across the road. I guess if you stop posting, we will know why. \:D/ I mean... sad2.gif

By the time you take the nozzle out of the jeep and put it back up, get in, start the jeep, any fumes will be long gone. Be careful out there miah, dont get killed on us. 8-[

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I will NEVER let my jeep run while pumping the gas. Any kind of short in a coil could cause a spart and it doesnt need to be right by the coil. Any wires coming to the back of the jeep could be shorted out blowing you across the road. I guess if you stop posting, we will know why. \:D/ I mean... sad2.gif

By the time you take the nozzle out of the jeep and put it back up, get in, start the jeep, any fumes will be long gone. Be careful out there miah, dont get killed on us. 8-[

Foundationless fears are just a form of devolution. Being afraid of everything around you will never get you anywhere.

Like I said, infintesimal probabilities have no grounds as statements of factual probability.

Can they happen? Yes.

Can a giant boulder from the Himalayas be launched by a volcano and crash into my house tomorrow at 2:15 PM? Yes; but the chances are small, therefore I will not blindly fear or avoid my home tomorrow at 2:15PM.

Based on your logic I should stay at least two miles away from my home for the next three weeks, just in case the timing is off. Then I should also avoid standing in open areas because a tornado could develop and whisk me away.

If "what if"s are the only thing you can provide as supporting points than the discussion can't go anywhere.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:

Did the same with my diesel. Not a good plan with diesel and I had to prime it when I started it. I also had to coast off and on to make it into the station.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miah, I must say that you are a man of very, very strong opinion.

Just b/c I want to be safe doesnt mean im scared of everything. I like to stop at redlights just to be safe, doesnt mean im scared of anything. O:)

Members online

No members online now.