Fuel Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

specbebop

Reaction score
I'm new here and I know this post it going to be kind of vague. But, I figured I would put it out there to group anyway in hopes that someone has had a similar problem.

I have a 2006 Liberty Sport 3.7L V6. Somewhere along the way it has developed a fuel leak. In the cabin, there's a very strong smell of gasoline when the vehicle is at a stand still, but not while moving. There's never any visible pools or puddles under the vehicle. And, in the engine compartment, I can' t see anything leaking.

I have a suspicion that it is leaking somewhere around the tank or fuel filler port. But, I can't confirm that.

In addition to the gas smell, when I fill up with gas and lock the fuel pump handle, when it gets to full gas pours out of the fuel fill hole for 1-2 seconds then the filler handle clicks off.

My question for the group: Where would you begin to look for the cause of this leak?

Thanks in advance for you help. I know it's a vague question. Just hope someone has some insight.

hsb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope this helps, but my wife's old vehicle prior to her Liberty, had a leak in the fuel rail and would exhibit the same smell issue you are describing. It was a tiny leak but the cabin wreaked of fuel when it was at a standstill. Once it was moving, it wasnt as bad, but there was more fresh air moving through the vehicle.

Either way, fuel leaks are not something to play around with, get that fixed asap.

specbebop

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sorry for my delayed response, was busy worrying about the water pump and then the ignition.

I'll check out my fuel rail.

More info. I've never noticed a fuel smell emanating from the engine compartment. This weekend I spent a lot of time with my head in there, with the engine running. Smell is definitely coming from somewhere behind the engine in/below/around the cabin.