Fuel injector replacement

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by SabaII, Jun 12, 2012.

1. SabaII

SabaII Full Access Member

Alright. So I have been chasing a mis-firing number 4 cylinder. I decided to swap the injector tonight with #2. Well those damn retaining clips I broke 2 of the 3 on the right bank. So now I can't drive my Jeep until tomorrow when I can go to the dealer and pick a couple up.

I also need some advice. I cannot get the rail back on to the injectors. Or even the injectors back in to the rail. Any trick to this? Not used to these gas things and need some insight. I was too frustrated to mess with it any further tonight.

Thanks.

2. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Make sure the o-rings are still good and seat them on the injector,some may come off and stay in the rail itself.You can apply a little silicone spray on the o-rings(or gas) to aid in going back into the fuel rail,just puch the rail firmly onto the injectors so you can not see the o-rings at all.

3. SabaII

Mkay. I thought there might be some o-rings stuck up in the rail. Thanks for the quick reply tjkj. Now I have a plan of attack for tomorrow after work. Damn $.85 clips. Chrysler couldn't have invested another couple cents in to them so they dont just shatter when you go to pull them off. Weak.

4. SabaII

FYI don't break any of them damn clips that hold the injector on. $13 a piece at the dealer. Sourcing scrap yards now.

5. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Those clips are pretty much a one time use thing,they come with the new injectors.

Think $13 per clip is bad Ford's 3.8/4.2 engines have a secondary port design and those acuating rods are held in with real tiny clips which are dealer only at $28 each.

6. SabaII

:throw: Even though I have worked in dealers the last 4 years, I hate them sometimes. Even the parts guy I talked to this morning said "holy ****".