Fuel Gauge reads empty all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge is always reading empty....I have to rely on my trip meter...

Anyone ever get this problem?

Any idea what this could be? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, It is a Jeep!

I am just kidding. How about the tank gas? Is it also on? If it is on as well, it is a sensor problem, if only the gauge is at low but without a light, it is the gauge problem.

kjmurphy

Reaction score
its the fuel sending unit ( sensor ) mine is doing the same thing except mine works half of the time. i'm taking mine in later this week to have it replaced under warranty. is your Check Engine Light on?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my s-10 that I had did the same thing, and it was the sending unit also. It was funny because it would only read empty after sitting still for a minute, as long as you were moving it was fine, but sitting still it would read empty and you would have to shake the truck back and forth to get it to read corectly again. It was gonna cost around $600 cuz they were gonna have to drop the gas tank to get to it....so I traded it in, I was tired of it anyway.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, It is a Jeep!

I am just kidding. How about the tank gas? Is it also on? If it is on as well, it is a sensor problem, if only the gauge is at low but without a light, it is the gauge problem.

Yes, the gas tank is also on.

its the fuel sending unit ( sensor ) mine is doing the same thing except mine works half of the time. i'm taking mine in later this week to have it replaced under warranty. is your Check Engine Light on?

Actually mine will show Full at times...not for long, then drop back to Empty. No my Check Engine is not on.

I brought it to the dealer to get it checked and they told me it wasn't covered...I'll have to scream I guess. They said the same thing for my back-up lights not working...."it's a wiring problem".......after some testing, it's the backup switch on the standard ******.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The saga continues...finally brought it to the garage...they changed the fuel sending unit under warranty....problem is still there.......

They spent another 1.5hrs looking for the problem with no success.....

I didn't want to have to pay a bundle for them to find the problem....it might have turned out to be customer pay....

Does anybody know what the problem could be???

Thx.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The saga continues...finally brought it to the garage...they changed the fuel sending unit under warranty....problem is still there.......

They spent another 1.5hrs looking for the problem with no success.....

I didn't want to have to pay a bundle for them to find the problem....it might have turned out to be customer pay....

Does anybody know what the problem could be???

Thx.
If the fuel sending unit was replaced,check the grounds,if those are good,better start looking for a new insturment cluster and/or BCM.Looking at some big $$$$ and may/may not be covered under the powertrain warrenty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking ground or the guage.. Could be the BCM too but I would think there would be more stuff that wasnt working if it was that.

Rush345

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen in my Dodge Dakota

If its like the dodge which I would bet it is the sending unit is part of the fuel pump inside the gas tank. I went to a dealer got a new pump and went to a buddy who worked at a repair/gas station. His mechanic went balsitic he wanted to do his own diagnostic. My freind said just put the pump in, (the Mech was pissed) but upon pulling the fuel pump he walked in and the circut board on the side of the pump which transmited to the gas guage was fried half way down. Hence whenI got to a little under half a tank it would shut off the fuel pump as reading empty and shutting off. Yours isn't shutting off but I would still check there, if you can't get any error codes.:confused:

Terryaroche

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with myv2005 jeep liberty...replaced gas cap and still gas gauge on empty and check engine light on...help!!!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a gauge sweep. Hold the trip button then turn the key to on. If the gauge works that's one thing to rule out then you have a bad sending unit

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terryaroche

Reaction score
I did gauge sweep..the fuel Guage went up and then back down...does this mean I need a sending unit? I just replaced radiator at a shop and now this...Im a girl but kind of handy...can I do a replacement myself?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did gauge sweep..the fuel Guage went up and then back down...does this mean I need a sending unit? I just replaced radiator at a shop and now this...Im a girl but kind of handy...can I do a replacement myself?
You have to drop the gas tank unless your lucky and got the cutout panel under the rear carpet.

Might as well just replace the entire fuel pump assembly while your in there,use OEM only.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002-2003 got the panel

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk