Fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bucko

Reaction score
Hi all
Is there a repair kit available for the fuel filter , washers , gaskets etc
2006 crd 2.8 Ltd

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Is there a repair kit available for the fuel filter , washers , gaskets etc
2006 crd 2.8 Ltd
Is it the white aluminium filter or the black plastic one?

Bucko

Reaction score
Is it the white aluminium filter or the black plastic one?
Have not actually taken the filter out of the body as yet , but seems to be a leak from the plastic body on top , when primed a little fuel comes out , hence the p0093 code I’m getting and the starting issues

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the plastic body then, they are known to crack or melt and leak, the best solution is to use the earlier metal filter assembly which is actually a Racor unit, where are you? If you are in Europe they are easy to find second hand, elsewhere in the world you may have to buy a new one.

Bucko

Reaction score
Thats the plastic body then, they are known to crack or melt and leak, the best solution is to use the earlier metal filter assembly which is actually a Racor unit, where are you? If you are in Europe they are easy to find second hand, elsewhere in the world you may have to buy a new one.
Uk , will try and track one down , many thanks for help

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any 2.5 or early 2.8 in a scrap yard will have one.

Bucko

Reaction score
Cheers , this is mine , hopefully we are talking about the same thing
You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
That's a plastic Gen 1 US filter head. The driver's side electical plug is a fuel heater which is where leaks occur. You might also get driveability issues due to air getting in there. There are other fuel line connectors that can allow air into the system. Use the pump and bleed screw on the filter head to get rid of the air.

There's a Gen 2 filter head kit that looks identical except that it's metal. The kit comes with a blue fuel heater connector because the connection is different. ID Parts and Sasquatch probably have the Gen 2 filter head kits. Be carefull with the wiring behind the filter head. The '06 CRDs are known for pinched and abraded wires in that area.

A scratch test will let you know for sure if it's a plastic or metal filter head.

The Racor setup is what non-US CRDs got and WWDiesel has a kit to add a secondary filter to the system.

Bucko

Reaction score
I take it those are only available in US , I’m in uk and cannot find anywhere that just does the replacement head , looks like I’ll have to get a full unit as cost of shipping etc will amount to the same cost as a full unit unfortunately

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'm suprised the UK got the same filter head as the US. Probably best to get the Euro (but not UK) Racor setup from a junkyard, (in France maybe?). The Racor filters to a better standard than the Gen 1&2 setup. WWDiesel's kit just adds a secondary filter to the Gen 1&2 system.

You can have my Gen 1 filter head if you want it for postage from 99610 US. Leave the heater disconnected and it should be fine unless it won't start in the cold. No leaks or cracks when it came off for a Gen 2.

Curiosity question... Does your turbo have a wastegate or is it the variable-vane US arrangement.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the early CRDs in the UK have the aluminium Racor filter, the VNT came in around the same time as the plastic filter body. No idea how different they are to the wastegate turbo version as both of mine are the older type.

Bucko

Reaction score
Thanks for all help guys , have to prime the filter when it’s been standing over night to get it started , once done it runs all day and night without an issue , weird !!!! On the lookout for a new / good used one

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You can have my Gen 1 filter head if you want it for postage from 99610 US. Leave the heater disconnected and it should be fine unless it won't start in the cold. No leaks or cracks when it came off for a Gen 2.
My offer stands.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loads of cars on ebay, should all have a filter housing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_101556_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_101556_eBay.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230924_101524_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_101524_eBay.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Google "Racor 245 filter", plenty of new ones for sale and available in England.

Elv73

Reaction score
I'm suprised the UK got the same filter head as the US. Probably best to get the Euro (but not UK) Racor setup from a junkyard, (in France maybe?). The Racor filters to a better standard than the Gen 1&2 setup. WWDiesel's kit just adds a secondary filter to the Gen 1&2 system.

Curiosity question... Does your turbo have a wastegate or is it the variable-vane US arrangement.
I'm in the UK with a 2005 CRD and also have this same filter head. I've had a few instances of the Jeep randomly cutting out just after starting and taking a bit longer on a morning to start after been sitting overnight so suspect some air is getting in. Is the Racor filter a direct replacement for tge gen 1 filter head?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the UK with a 2005 CRD and also have this same filter head. I've had a few instances of the Jeep randomly cutting out just after starting and taking a bit longer on a morning to start after been sitting overnight so suspect some air is getting in. Is the Racor filter a direct replacement for tge gen 1 filter head?
Should be, as I said above, its standard fitment on the early jeeps.

Bucko

Reaction score
Google "Racor 245 filter", plenty of new ones for sale and available in England.
Is this a direct replacement for mine , fittings , plugs etc or do you need to “ modify “ any leads etc ?