Fuel Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WeBeJeepn'

Reaction score
Wow folks, I can't believe your mileage ***** so bad! I just gave up YJ's after driving them for 11 years for a liberty because of fuel economy. I used to get on average 12mpg in the YJ, and I'm almos doubling that in my nused KJ. I don't know why you all are getting such poor fuel economy??? Enginewise I'm all stock for the moment, but I'm sporting a 2.5" lift and 31's (sniffle I miss my 35's), and ARB bump w/ a Warn winch. I just drove from Colorado Springs to Telluride this past weekend with 2 bikes on top, and loaded down for a weekend of camping, and I was still pulling 21MPG. That's also including several major Mt. passes. Now a big seller for my KJ was the 5 spd manual, but still I got a huge gap in the milage compared to what you folks are claiming!

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just filled up today and I got 19mpg!! I have a 03 3.7L Auto. I have no idea how I managed that! And that was a full tank too....the low fuel light was on when I pulled into the station. I hadn't done much highway driving, and I wasn;t really driving any different than normal. Oh well, maybe Jeep has decided to be nice to me! Hehehe...maybe driving to my bf's is good on my fuel economy....

I usually average between 16 and 18....my best yet was 21, but that was almost all highway driving! 19 is super exciting....hopefully I can keep doing that!

As far as maintenance....I just take it in for the regular scheduled, and oil changes every 3000 with dinosaur oil, not synthetic. Stock air filter.