Frozen camber bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I replaced the entire suspension two summers ago and had it aligned by Pep Boys when I completed the job along with two new tires. I noticed ride quality and tire wear thereafter about 6 months later. I do not drive the KJ much, put it off and thought I'd either done something wrong or had defective parts. I had a proper 4x4 shop check the suspension, it was fine. I finally took it to a local reputable alignment shop. The lower control arm bolts to adjust camber apparently are frozen. Pep Boys never mentioned this and appears to be the root cause of my issue as camber has not been adjusted and you can see the odd angle of the passenger tire which is the tire that wore faster.

My guess is due to liability and the time involved the local shop did not want to risk breaking the bolt but seemed up for the task if I was willing.

I am a little more than stock ride height with Cooper 245/70 as I only pull a trailer, hunt a few times a years thus the reason I selected slightly uprated components vs OME etc.
Suspension list:
Bilstein shocks
Moog springs
Moog UCA's
Moog boomerang
Moog rear LCA's
Moog bushes everywhere except front LCA which is still stock

So I am considering the following:
  1. Source new bolts, soak the existing bolts in Kroil for the rest of the week and see if I can loosen. Have it aligned with plans to upgrade to Superpro poly bushes later.
  2. Swap to Crown complete LCA's. They do not appear to come with the bolts.
Mopar Part No.: 6507321AA- bolt
6102252AA- hex flange nut

While I at this, will it be easier to replace the steering rack bushes with the LCA's apart?

Last edited:

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are set on replacing the front lower control arms and bolts, the easiest way to remove them is to use a carbide reciprocating saw blade. Cut on either side of the bushings.

Removing the lower control arms doesn't make it easier to replace the steering rack bushings.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are set on replacing the front lower control arms and bolts, the easiest way to remove them is to use a carbide reciprocating saw blade. Cut on either side of the bushings.

Removing the lower control arms doesn't make it easier to replace the steering rack bushings.

I am soaking now. Hopefully I can salvage the bolts, will order new MOPAR/Crown bushes or Superpro if the US distributor gets back with me in time. Worst case, cut the bolts and proceed. But yes decided to keep my stock LCA's since I have new ball joints pressed in.

By chance do you know the common steering hose that's problematic on the KJ? I know mine leaks, may as well address all of this now and be done with it.
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Vin=1J4GL48K73W577039&Make=Jeep&Model=Liberty&Year=2003&Submodel=&Filter=()&SubCategoryUrl=steering/power_steering_hoses_and_reservoir&Diagram=&PartNumbers=

Last edited: