Front brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all
having front brake issues here, looking for some ideas
2002, 3.7 limited (drum brake rear, no ABS)

this weekend the brakes just felt weird... pedal feel was changing, pulling to one side, then the other side. the fronts have warped again (PO changed the brakes out at a discount shop around 140XXX Miles, i then replaced the fronts - pads and rotors - around 168XXX because the rotors were warped) now the fronts are warped again and acting up as i mentions (around 207XXX miles right now)

any issues with calipers? i know grand cherokees had 2 versions, 1 type was notorious for warping rotors.
could calipers be a culprit here?
when i replaced the front brakes, i got true stop parts from napa, they made noise for the first 10K or so, so i took them back because of the squeeling and squeaking, and warrantied them. still had the noises so i lived with it.
but they are warped pretty bad.

what are GOOD replacement parts that wont warp? do i need to go as high end as EBC?
calipers?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a set of Centric rotors that worked great. EBC green stuff pads were alright. Now I'm running Powerstop pads and rotors up front.

Caliper wise, still have OE front ones but the rear ones are Advance auto rebuilt ones and they've been fine for the 2 or 3 years I've had them.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot I got a cheap set of 4 rotors on ebay a little over a year ago and they're still true (no runout at all).
I use duralast gold pads and duralast reman lifetime warranty calipers.. work like a dream..

But as for what's causing your pull and warped rotors..
My guess would be Excessive heat buildup from bottom of the barrel pads for 30k, or a caliper/caliper slide pins/hose for whichever wheel is pulling..

Before doing anything, I'd take the tires and swap sides with the them before trying anything else..
Just to see if your wheel is the problem and not your brakes, then move to the brakes if the pull stays to the same side..
Good time to rotate your tires if needed!

If your new pads and rotors squeaked from the start, my guess is you've been living with a small problem during this period.
Anti-rattle clips not greased or installed with the pads, a slightly hanging up caliper, or somebody crimped your brake hose trying to squeeze it with vice grips when working on your brakes.. or let the caliper hang by the hose when doing the brakes.
The thing things tend to be what cause the issues you can't figure out.

First, id switch the tires and if no change..
jack up each wheel individually and look for the culprit wheel that is hard to turn.. or hangs up in certain areas while turning. Also look for those that are squeaking.
For the front, have the vehicle in park, ebrake pulled.
For the rear, Chuck the front wheels very well and make sure you're on level ground.. then proceed to put the car in N and Jack up each rear wheel individually..
Jacking up both rear wheels while in reverse and the ebrake not engaged, raises your chances of dropping a car...wheel chucks work well, but things can still happen.
Hopefully this will help you to find which wheels are hanging up/squeaking.

If/When you find the wheel that's hard to turn, I'd check the slide pins on the caliper before assuming that it's bad.
Remove the caliper from the wheel, and inspect your brake pads.if the brake pads are worn toward one side, it's likely that one of the slide pins in the caliper is stuck.
You can check the slide pins by removing the caliper from the caliper bracket by the 2 bolts, but leave the caliper bracket mounted. Push in on the slide pins and each should compress freely by hand and be able to be removed easily.
If either doesn't compress by hand, you've found the culprit slide pin causing uneven distribution of pressure from the caliper to the pads/rotor surface which can cause your rotors to warp.
You can pick up brake hardware kits from AZ.. I'd imagine napa, advanced, etc. Would carry them as well, but I've just used AZs, so can't comment on the others
But the kit from AZ will come with anti rattle clips, slide pins and all related rubber prices for the slide pins.. may come with new caliper guide bolts but I don't recall..

As for the squeaking, I always put brake grease on the anti rattle clips before seating them onto the caliper bracket.
Pay attention to which go on the top and which go on bottom as its very easy to overlook which one goes where. The flat side of the clip should face toward the rotor and the bent side should face outward. If installed backwards, will squeak against rotor (ask me how I know lol)..
Grease them, be sure they're in the correct position, and then reinstall the pads.
Be sure not to get the grease on the pads or rotors, if you do.. remove with brake cleaner.. lubricants on a friction surface is no good. I use brakleen.. which is the same company brake grease I use..I usually hit the rotors with brakleen while I'm down there just for good measure and clean it all of at the end as well.

Be sure to load the new slide pins up with grease before installing the rubber boots on them and putting into the bracket, or they will eventually stick again.

If you've checked all this, and there's no change from switching sides on the tires, all wheels rotate freely with no catching or squeaking, all slide pins are properly lubricated and movable, pads worn even and still good, all anti rattle clips installed properly, and no calipers show any signs of being stuck..
Then I would turn to your brake hose and inspect it..if it gets to this point I can help you to check this part as well.

A I've said.. I used bottom of the barrel rotors, but putting good pads and calipers around them, I've never had a single squeak (did from a front wheel bearing for about a month though)..
So for having to go highend, no.
Just making sure the little things are all correct..
I realize I gave a lot of info, so if you want me to simplify it, or need help as you go, or just can't figure it out..
Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can walk you through the process while you do it to the Jeep if need be.
I hope you get your issue resolved soon!!

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gunner
thanks for all the info, i have hit a lot of those already, did anti-rattle clips and slid pins somewhere after i did the brakes, i realized the PO never put the clips on, so i never did when i did the brakes the first time, then i got them in there (chasing my noise which only squeaks / squeels when the brakes are applied by the way) also greased up the pins really well at that point. they could need cleaning/grease again though.
i will inspect the hoses too
i have rotated the tires 4 times i think since doing the brakes, so each tire has been in the front position. no change ever noticed.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jacked it up tonight, ball joints felt solid, everything looked good visually. will take off more this week and look closer.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you find any wheels that are harder to spin than the others when you jacked it up?
Are you just inspecting the ball joints for good measure or is there a problem with them? Did you check for play in them, or just check the rubber boot on them?
My brakes are one area where I've always tried to pay miticulous attention as I've dealt with too many stuck calipers that left me stranded in the most inconvenient places..never fails, it will always happen when most incovenient.
Anyways, I'd say I'm only about 1/4 of my brake system still oem.. those parts being master cylinder, a couple lines, 1 hose, brake booster and combination valve.. and by far the best thing I've done to my brakes yet was change the fluid.. no joke. Made a thread in the FAQs not too long ago.. and you'd be surprised the difference of all new fluid makes in the brake feel.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires/wheels all spin equally without and wierd resistance.
just checking the ball joints for good measure.
hoses looked good too, no strange marks or pinches.

maybe i should just revamp it all, hoses, calipers, pads, rotors...

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm just buying all new everything.
1) Power stop OE 1 click kit, rotors and pads,
2) calipers, hardware and brackets
3) ss brake hose kit
Done!

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
77 for the rotors and pads (25% off and free shipping at 4wheel parts) part number PSTKOE2160
80ish for the calipers (autozone remans with brackets, right now 20% off, plus 20$ gift card and free shipping)
150 for the hoses (best deal at autoplicity.com plus discount code part number 2-15519

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
late to the party but my Black Magic front pads have been amazing,30k on the pads and they still have 10mm of pad material(brand new is 10mm).They do make them for stock KJ's now and they can be paired with Centric Premium rotors(there choice for best performance).

Sadly they do eat rotors,not warping but chews them up.I'm on my 4th or 5th set of front rotors but never have yet needed to change the pads.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have that powerstop kit you just ordered I think. Ceramic pads and solid rotors right? Have about 3k on them. Like them better than the EBC green stuff pads before. Hope these rotors hold up as well as the Centric ones did.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rotors cost more than pads? :shrug: changing rotors 5 times vs.. changing pads 5 times
Lol just messing with you.

Not for high end pads.My pads alone are $125 for the set and $30 something for each rotor.

You also gotta remember I'm running just slightly bigger front brakes(almost identical rears) then a stock KJ and trying to stop a 6200+lbs brick on 35" tires.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that powerstop kit you just ordered I think. Ceramic pads and solid rotors right? Have about 3k on them. Like them better than the EBC green stuff pads before. Hope these rotors hold up as well as the Centric ones did.

Yea the plain rotors, figured the drilled and slotted were just for show.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They cut down on excessive heat to keep from overheating the rotors and wraping them or causing premature wear on the pads.. also noticeable help with stopping distance..
At least on my mustang they did..like night and day. And I switched out good rotors for them and kept them as spares.
Plain rotors will work just fine though as mentioned.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They cut down on excessive heat to keep from overheating the rotors and wraping them or causing premature wear on the pads.. also noticeable help with stopping distance..
At least on my mustang they did..like night and day. And I switched out good rotors for them and kept them as spares.
Plain rotors will work just fine though as mentioned.

Drilled rotors are 100% cosmetic.They came around back in the '60's for drag racing to reduce weight and the tuner market adopted them because "they look cool".They are proven to reduce braking performance(increases performance only in carbon/ceramic and carbon/carbon braking systems).

Slotted rotors do have a good effect but not for a vehicle that will see mud,then they do more damage then harm.