Free Trailer Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emorycc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and I was looking at the recalls for the car and saw that one said that if you get rear ended your gas tank could leak. The recall said that if you contact a jeep dealer they will install a free trailer hitch to protect your gas tank. I was pleasantly surprised that they installed a heavy duty 2 inch hitch!:gr_grin: All I did was contact my local jeep dealer asked him if they could still do the recall there and he told me to just come in whenever. On the picture it is hard to see but the heavy duty cross bar goes behind your bumper so it is not just the 2 inch opening but the whole thing.

Attachments

• Jeep Liberty 88.jpg
    Jeep Liberty 88.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 98

neilbedwell

Reaction score
I called my dealer last week and the guy I talked to told me that "they haven't sent us the parts yet" and to "call back in about a month". I instantly assumed that he was lying and didn't want to do the work. I guess this proves it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. There's no reason for the dealer to turn away service work, unless they're too busy to do it at the time. Actually, this type of thing is a windfall for them. The cost of the trailer hitches comes out of Chrysler's pocket, and the dealers charge back the installation service to Chrysler. The dealer gets paid just as if it's any other type of warranty work being done.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my dealer last week and the guy I talked to told me that "they haven't sent us the parts yet" and to "call back in about a month". I instantly assumed that he was lying and didn't want to do the work. I guess this proves it.

Not all dealers got the parts at the same time. I've called every Jeep/Chrysler dealership in Denver - only one in town has them.

Just wait - your free hitch will come eventually

Last edited:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all dealers got the parts at the same time. I've called every Jeep/Chrysler dealership in Denver - only one in town has them.

Just wait - your free hitch will come eventually

Colorado Chrystler Jeep in Aurora has some

Auto Nation Chrystler Jeep off of broadway has some

Centennial Chrystler Jeep has a limited number but still has some

Medved Auto Plex here in Castle Rock has them

Last edited:

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs has them. Not sure about the other Jeep dealers in the Springs.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting...the only one I found with any was the one by southwest plaza. But that was a week ago...

03jeep

Reaction score

We have been trying to get it install and they supposedly don't have em that was 2 months almost 3 ago last week we call again and they said they don't have the parts that they'll give us a call when they get em? We try the Dodge on aurora I guess we'll try one of these.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see how long it will take them to install one. When they called, they said it would take all day. It looks like an hour long job at most.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see how long it will take them to install one. When they called, they said it would take all day. It looks like an hour long job at most.

Took mine 45 minutes. Of course I prepped the bolt areas first and painted before I went in.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock fuel tank skid plate has been in place since new and the previous owner was good enough to keep the underside clean. The rear axle looks like it started rusting last year and no other rust is visible without taking things apart so far.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock fuel tank skid plate has been in place since new and the previous owner was good enough to keep the underside clean. The rear axle looks like it started rusting last year and no other rust is visible without taking things apart so far.

Shouldn't be THAT long then. As long as the bolts are not frozen of course. I'd say 2 hours max.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked the box that mine had been checked and was okay. I mailed it back in. I have the factory towing package and I guess I have the factory tank skid. Never noticed until I started seeing pics of others rear ends. Wish the PO had not removed the ****** and engine skids. I still have the Tcase skid.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been trying to get it install and they supposedly don't have em that was 2 months almost 3 ago last week we call again and they said they don't have the parts that they'll give us a call when they get em? We try the Dodge on aurora I guess we'll try one of these.

Try the Autonation Dodge Jeep Ram on 7980 Tufts Ave, over by Southwest Plaza. I called them last week and he said they had the parts and scheduled me in for tomorrow.

jeepontruckin

Reaction score
dropping my 04 off tonight for this recall. I always like a new accessory, especially when it's free.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may seem free now but one way or another we end up paying for it in the long run with higher part prices!

Clannad48

Reaction score
Just wanting to ask a quick question - in the UK if they deem that you need this fix they are not fitting a tow hitch but installing a crossbeam - which will mean that if you currently have a tow hitch it will be removed but you will NEVER be able to have a tow hitch fitted EVER. Howevr, you can sign a waiver stating you do not want the repair and keep the towhitch. To cut a long story short I have had to email the UK Jeep Chairman to ask for his comments Has anyone had a towhitch replaced or fitted over there.

Members online